Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
fluid

Thread: fluid

Junior SCH Member

fluid

Is BM trickshift synthetic fluid ok to use in the sn novi gss Paxton ? I read that it was ok but I didn't know if it was bm conventional or synthetic . I received the synthetic but not sure if this is ok to use . I have a brand new blower kit for a 1st gen lightning and don't want to destroy it before the fun begins. thanks guys

B&M Trickshift is fine, but not the synthetic version.

The general consensus on the forum here is to NOT use any sort of synthetic fluid in an SN supercharger. The SN's internal ball-drive system relies on friction to function properly. Synthetic fluids are just too slick, and will cause the ball's to slip on the drive wheel and races (something you don't want). And unfortunately, if you attempt to add pressure on the balls through the use of additional shims and tightening the casing bolts beyond spec, you stand a very good chance of warping the drive balls themselves.

SCH Member
    Have to be the devils advocate here. I've used synthetic B&M Trick Shift for several years, almost a decade. For at least 50,000 miles my SN-60 ball drive Paxtons have been running with the syn. B&M .On numerous occasions I would run the engine flat out for as long as a tank of gas would last, about 138 miles. Afte all that usage the supercharger has no measurable wear and still makes 6 lbs. boost, as it did when new. I also use an external fluid cooler which is the other key to vintage Pacton longevity . I wouldn't us any other fluid if you paid me.

Z
    Last edited by zray; 06-12-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    WOW these are two very compelling replies each going the other way.

SCH Member
    that's what you are going to get on the internet.

I'm just relating what has been my experience with the ball drive Paxtons that are seeing extreme duty.I'd be interested to know if others have ACTUALLY used synthetic B&N Trick Shift, and found it problematic. Or are just repeating a theoretical position without direct experience. In any case, in my limited experience, it has worked, and worked very very well. You can't beat synthetic lubrication products for wear reduction. Additionally, I haven't had to adjust the preload on the ball drive even once. I just installed it in my '66 GT350 exactly as set-up by Craig Conley (of Paradise Wheels). So have my doubts, legitimately I believe, that using B&N causes the balls to slip because it's too "slippery".

Z

'65 K code

It's hard to argue against experience, and if zray has had good experience with B&M synthetic trickshift, then the OP can by all means chose to use the same product. I was merely relaying information that I've ready here on the forum.

SCH Member
    I'm all for comparing varied experiences, and learning from those that differ from mine. How else can a person benefit from what others have done ? If someone would post their experience with using a synthetic fluid in a ball drive Paxton that turned out for the worse, I'd love to hear the details. I'm certainly not saying that my recommendation is the only way to go, but it's worked for me and could be right for others.

Z.

'65 K code

Junior SCH Member
    I thank you both