Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
After 10 years & 50,000+ miles my SN-60 inspected

Thread: After 10 years & 50,000+ miles my SN-60 inspected

SCH Member

After 10 years & 50,000+ miles my SN-60 inspected

I recently sold the SN60 that I'd been using on a GT350 that was sold last summer. I wanted to make certain that the buyer was getting a solid unit so the buyer & I agreed to split the cost of an inspection and possible rebuild to be done by Craig Conley.

I was optimistic that all the internals were in good working order since the performance of the unit had not degraded over the years, and was still putting out 5.5 to 6 lbs. boost at rpm's over 4,500/5000 or so.

Craig's report:

bearings OK, balls slightly worn but still within specs, some seepage from the seals. All in all pretty good. Craig credited my maintenance regimen and the use of a fluid cooler with the excellent condition. I used synthetic B&M Trick Shift and changed it every 2,500 miles.

Since he had it apart, he went ahead and replaced the bearings, as well as the balls, and seals. I'm sure the new owner will have the opportunity to have as much fun with it as I did.

Z.

'65 K code

very nice,
    i hope to put 50,000 miles on my toy before i retire.
    my car does not get more than 500-1500 miles per year

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for posting the reliability of the SN blowers. I just pulled the VR57/SN internals blower of my 57 Ford to change the rear seal and I have 10 years of driving it a few times a week and it looks great inside as well. Amazing how good the early technology really was.

SCH Member
    I only did three things to make that sucker last:

1) used the fluid that Craig had recommended to me for my first vintage Paxton over 15 years ago, B&M Trick Shift. I changed to the synthetic variety of B&M as soon as it became available, about the time I bought this unit, around nine years ago I believe.

2) change the fluid every 2,500 miles or 12 months, which ever came first.

3) use a large fluid cooler placed IN FRONT OF the radiator.

that's all folks........

Z.

'65 K code