Thread: Gear oil vanishing act

Junior SCH Member

Gear oil vanishing act

Hello all,First time posting here and looking for some help.
    Been running a 671 Weiand on my SB 350 chevy for over 4 years now.Ive only had the car out a few times this summer and constantly fouling the plugs.Had to add gear lube 2 time this summer.Got the car out over the weekend and had to top off the gear oil.Drove probably 20 to 30 miles at most and fouled the plugs again.Checked the gear oil in the case and empty again.No leaks externally, so is this a problem with the inner oil seals behind the bearings?If so can I replace them at home,or do I need to send it out to be done?Thanks in advance.

contact Weiand and ask them,
    it would most likely be best to send it out and have the whole unit checked

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the info.With money as tight as it is right now I was hoping to be able to replace the bearings and seals myself.I see that summit has the seals and bearings.Cant really afford $800 to have it all checked.Kind of stuck in a bind here.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightmaniac View Post
    Thanks for the info.With money as tight as it is right now I was hoping to be able to replace the bearings and seals myself.I see that summit has the seals and bearings.Cant really afford $800 to have it all checked.Kind of stuck in a bind here.
    you might be able to do it yourself or at least take it apart and see if the bearings are pressed in the housing. you will need a manual and or some pic's/info on the bearing R&R process. best to get more info {free} then decide what on this issue. lack of oil is going to cause other issues quickly

Junior SCH Member
    Hard to believe the web has no info on changing front oil seals on a 671.I cant find anything.