Thread: engine oil consumption

Junior SCH Member

engine oil consumption

I posted this question on another site...I trust their opinion but thought I would see what I get here too...maybe everyone will agree and convince me !.............................Getting ready to take possession of a newly built motor( 1000 miles?) with a Weiand 144. He is a friend of mine, and I trust him. He's had this supercharged 355 for a year now (he didn't build it). Normal driving it uses no oil, but at highway driving (higher RPMs) he's losing half/ quart every couple hundred miles! He's been all over that engine, and only can find some slight oil dampness at the valve covers and some "oil mist" on his hood like it's being pushed out the front and being slung (def. motor oil and not gear oil). He has gone from a PVC type ventilation, to 2 breathers on the valve covers, but no change. He's had people follow him down the highway, and there is no visible smoke to indicate it's burning through the cylinders. He runs 80 lbs of oil pressure, 40# at idle, seems kind of high (high volume oil pump installed). We are stumped! We wonder if the crankcase has too much pressure. He said it's almost like it's vaporizing the oil since he can't seem to find any major leak. How are these things best ventilated? He admits it's a trailer queen, and the boost is set for max with the pulleys. I will detune with other pulleys, will that help? What to start looking for or to do? i've been all over the internet looking for a similar problem/solution...nothing !

you need to put some miles on it.
    the rings are just getting broke in and may not have fully seated yet.
    i would do some ring seating exercises after you get the engine and drive it for a time
    then you will see if the oil consumption gets better, stays as it is now, or gets worse

Junior SCH Member
    Thank you

Junior SCH Member
    Ive had that problem a couple times.The oil was being pushed past the fuel pump shaft and out the bolt hole in front of the block.Put a short bolt in the hole that aligns with the pump shaft and the problem will be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightmaniac View Post
    Ive had that problem a couple times.The oil was being pushed past the fuel pump shaft and out the bolt hole in front of the block.Put a short bolt in the hole that aligns with the pump shaft and the problem will be solved.
    this could be an issue also