Thread: Vr-4

Senior SCH Member

Vr-4

I started my 93 mustang with a vr-4 on it on thanksgiving day, it ran fine left it idle for about 5 minutes and shut it off all good. Today I start it up very loud the blower sounded very weird and loud looked at the filter for the oil cooler and the fluid was dark colored! And the fluid has approximately 50 miles on it! And before I start it I always check all the fluids oil antifreeze blower fluid. And it looked bright red until I started it! What happened from thanksgiving until today?

Junior SCH Member
    I'd disassemble the filter in container & run a magnet through it. Is the fluid brown on a paper towel too?

Senior SCH Member
    Not completely it smelled burnt to? It's really loud now the blower!!!

Senior SCH Member
    I put a new filter in it to. I always do when I change the fluid.

Senior SCH Member
    Well I took the belt off and put a wrench on the pulley and turned it and it turned then grabbed then turned then grabbed. It's time for a rebuild!!

Junior SCH Member
    That blows. Sorry to hear that.
    How long did it last? Who rebuilt it?

Senior SCH Member
    April 2014 I left Craig Conley from paradise wheels put the impeller in and rebuild it. I have less than 200 miles on this blower!!!!! And I drive the car about 30 miles per year!!!! I found out that Ford type f isn't good enough for the vr-4!!!!! It breaks down not enough vicosity!!! It needs paxta trac!!!! And guess what! No one makes it no more!!!!! And yes I have an oil cooler on it! And I might put 15 miles on the fluid changes!!!!! I'm royally pissed!!!!!!

Senior SCH Member
    There's no way that blower should have malfunctioned when I started it up!!!

Junior SCH Member
    Yeah that does not sound right at all. I'd be pretty salty over that. I've been using B&M trick shift non synthetic. Craig rebuilt mine too & told me not to run B&M but old posts on here talk about how good it is & some say he even recommend it. So much contradiction. I have a SN92 on my 93 cobra & have been wanting to put a VR4 on it because it's from the time period but every time I see one for sale their way to much. I'd be better off buying a Vortech SI.

Senior SCH Member
    I talked to Cundn and that fella told me 42 inch lbs is way to light on that. I can believe that! But he drag raced those he said he changed the fluid after every race and had no problem.

Junior SCH Member
    Craig told me 35-37 inch lbs on a SN. 42 inch lbs is not much more. I'd trust Craig. Maybe the oil pump took a ****? I know it's mechanical but who knows until you take it apart.

Senior SCH Member
    I'm gonna rebuild it and I will not run type f fluid in it. I'm gonna run ams oil supershift in it. Read the specs on it pretty impressive!! Yes it has friction modifiers!!

Senior SCH Member
    Well vr 4 is all apart no Belleville washer or shims behind the balls! Took the impeller bolt out and everything fell to the floor. No shims nothing is that normal? The impeller shaft has gouged on it. One bearing was going bad. The balls have a little bit of wear not bad though! The ball drive isn't bad at all either?? The blower was an sn2000 before the upgrade.