Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
How to make more Boost with a new Novi 1000?

Thread: How to make more Boost with a new Novi 1000?

SCH Member

How to make more Boost with a new Novi 1000?

I am thinking of buying a new revised Novi 1000. Anyone know what would need to be done in order to increase boost? I have heard of three different pulleys being offered. Anyone know the sizes and how they affect boost?

I am also running a Mark VIII fan with a thicker radiator (ex-AOD car) Does anyone know if the extra crank pulley will clear the fan? If I had measurement from a pulley I could check it out myself. Can anyone help?

I ran an ASP 8" crank pulley with success, I did however of course have to use a 93' cobra water pump pulley.

As for the clearance from the crank pulley to the fan, it was enough clearance. It was congested no doubt, but nothing significantly bothersome, nor anything to be worried about.
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

Stangs and other SVT products I've owned...

2001 F150 SVT Lightning (Silver)
    JDM Stage 1 & 2 kit and 3k+ worth of audiosex
    [ sold... ]

91 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

#001 8" Crank Pulley Club

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

"ALWAYS OUT NUMBERED, NEVER OUT GUNNED"

Mustang Videos! Watch'em, upload'em and we host them at:

SCH Member
    I am guessing this is the old Novi or is it the new setup with a sep. crank pulley?

wldtang: To raise the boost you have to change the blower pulley or the crank pulley. You have to be careful because if you change that pulley (blower) your warranty will be void.

The new 1K is supposed to range from 6-12 with the pulleys that come with the kit. I have not seen the kit in person so I cannot say for sure.

Ian

SCH Member
    Yea. I keep hearing of different pulleys in the kit but no one has been able to tell me for sure what it comes with. It would be great to get different pulleys so I could switch between them. I do not want to change the blower pulley because of the warranty.
    I have decided to do the 1K. But I would like to find this out first.

i talked with jack at musclemotors & he said his new revised kits are being sold but he said there were no 3 pulley options, all the other revisions were correct! here is a quote from his e-mail to me:

"Justin,
    This is the brand new version of the Paxton Novi 1000 as stated in our
    auction. There is not 3 pulleys though to upgrade boost. It comes standard
    with what is below which is directly from Paxton's newletter to dealers."

he mentioned that the kit comes with an 8rib 3.5" pulley from the previous 3.0" 6rib! so its actually lower boost produced with the new revisions!? the 8 rib is a great upgrade but i was looking forward to having the 3 pulley option!!

SCH Member
    I wonder if it can be ordered with a different pulley?

The reason that the blower pulley is bigger is because so is the crank pulley.

With seperate drive you have a crank pulley with 2 belt grooves in it.

The outer one that runs the blower is larger so the blower spins

just as fast as the regular Novi 1K even tho the blower pulley is

larger.

I hope this made sense!?!?!?
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

so how could you up boost w/o voiding the warrenty? only change the crank pulley? that would be worth but 1psi or so right? ................hmmmm

Originally posted by mygt8a4re
    so how could you up boost w/o voiding the warrenty? only change the crank pulley? that would be worth but 1psi or so right? ................hmmmm
    For the "old" style 1k, changing the crank pulley is a dramatic difference. It gives just a tad more than 1psi :) .

To answer your question about upping the boost...Yes you change the crank pulley to not void the warranty. You can change the crank pulley to as big as you want. Talk to Chris (Goliath5.0), he was running a 8" crank pulley and saw 15psi through aftermarket heads and intake!
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer

thanx for that info whistler! so can i expect to see more boost than the 5-6 psi base since i have bigger heads & intake? see my sig? im new to the s.c.ing scene, so all your help is appreciated!
    -justin

DSS 306, S-trim, TFS trackheats, TFS trackheat intake, TFS stg 1 cam, Tremec....tons of cooling, suspension, exhaust, ignition, fuel & tuning parts that would take up too much space!

SCH Member
    I would still like to know if a New Novi can be ordered with different pulleys?

Originally posted by mygt8a4re
    so can i expect to see more boost than the 5-6 psi base since i have bigger heads & intake?
    You have it backwards. You'll see less boost because your heads and intake flow alot better than the stockers. I'd guess you'll still see 5 psi with the basic 1k setup. I was seeing 7 psi with the stock pulleys.

Maybe some of the h/i/c guys will chime in and tell you how much boost they saw with a stock pullied Novi 1k. That would give you a better idea on what to expect :D
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer