Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Fox body and no fmu ?

Thread: Fox body and no fmu ?

Junior SCH Member

Fox body and no fmu ?

Anyone runing 42s and no fmu.
    What kind of tune do you have? fp, timing
    Any trouble with going learn up top?
    If so, what kind of fp do you need up top?

Junior SCH Member
    if you're gonna get rid of the fmu then you should get a chip burnt on the dyno with a wideband.. I run the set up but my base f/p is around 44 vacumn off and everything else is done through the chip.
    95 GT MOVIE HERE

You should really get it dyno tuned... I have seen people try to do it by not using a chip with #42's and the meter, but it's just a big guessing game without a wideband on the dyno. Your money is well spent having a good tuner go to town on your car... not only do you get more power, but it's safe (as long as the tuner makes it a safe tune), and your car will run better overall.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Junior SCH Member
    I do a lot of cars without FMUs on the dyno. Anything boosted I recommend at minimum a 42lb injector and an air meter that is minimum 42lb calibration for 500hp and 50lb calibration for 600hp. The car must be dynotuned to get all you can get out of it. Some people will jack the base fuel pressure up and to some extent that will keep the car from leaning out. What will happen however is the car will go rich in the midrange causing torque to plummet and peak hp will not recover to it's maximum potential. I custom to Autologic chips and have shown that without an FMU and a large enough injector, a broader powerband is achieved.

Michael Freedman

Junior SCH Member
    I can not seem to keep mine from blowing black smoke out the tailpipes. I kept turning the fmu down until it was doing nothing, and still the same result. Black smoke rolling out from the time I get the pedal to the floor till I let of. The gas milage is at 7mpg too. I am waiting on a tweecer/rt to come in, but was wanting some advice on getting it lined out.

MichealFreedman-I know this is a broad question and all cars are different, but typically how much fuel would need added at 6000 for 14lbs of boost.

Junior SCH Member
    MichealFreedman-BTW I do plan on a wideband, but would like something just to start with. Where are you located at?

Thanks.

Senior SCH Member
    With 14psi of boost I would reccommend no less then 42# injectors and possibly use 50#'s For a safe street tune most tuners use a max of 11.5:1 AFR (wideband) and pretty low timing under boost. (I run 22 degrees at 10psi) This allows you to compensate for a bad tank of gas or whatever and not blow your motor. Is you MAF cal'd for the 42's? I'm getting ready to install my 42's and matching Pro M and ditch the FMU, but I have the EEC Tuner and a wideband so it should make it rather easy for me. Good luck.
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

Junior SCH Member
    I plan on either going to a dyno that has one or purchasing a wideband eventually.

If you don't mind e-mail me and let me what kind of tune you come up with in the end.

Senior SCH Member
    Well, I can tell you that the 42's were more then enough fuel for my car without the FMU, as we dynoed it last weekend and it was so rich that it didn't make any power and blew black soot all over the walls in the dyno room. I have started to tune it out now with the eec tuner and adding timing, as I had a Wayyyy to safe tune in the car. If you don't have the knowledge or the equipment I would really suggest taking it to a tuner, as I am really struggling and I've been building motors an tuning for quite some time now..
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......