Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tensioner took a dump on me!

Thread: Tensioner took a dump on me!

Senior SCH Member lx-convertible's Avatar

Tensioner took a dump on me!

Well it was bound to happen, this stuff always happens to me. Stripped the threads at the end of the arbor. I know i should call paxton and get their Novi 2k set up, but a machine shop is going to set me up with a new one, beefed, longer and stronger. I will blast ya a pic of it when i get it. :bonk:
    Neil
    Engine: DSS Pro Bullet 306, Windsor Jr. heads, E303, 42lb inj., Cobra intake(fully ported lower)65mm TB, 80mm Mass Air, MSD 6BTM, MSD coil

Power Adder: Novi 1K, Anderson PowerPipe, ASP 8 IN Crank. No PS, AC, SMOG.

HP: 488.3
    TQ: 461.7 Tuned by FordChip.com

11.77 @ 119.9
    Best 60ft-1.56
    New project 1991 coupe
    NEW TOY 1995 H/D Sportster

Great - post some pics when you get it.

You always have to be sure to loosen the nut on the pulley when tightening the belt :D

Ian

I always loosend it, to no avail. That part is just not long enough to handle the stress put on it. Just made a brand new discharge too, came out nice. My old one had seen better days, it was my 1st attempt at copying steve's. Now i have it nailed on my 2nd attempt. Kinda odd to mount the discharge with the powerpipe, not a straight shot like it was with the paxton plastic, but oh well.
    Neil
    Engine: DSS Pro Bullet 306, Windsor Jr. heads, E303, 42lb inj., Cobra intake(fully ported lower)65mm TB, 80mm Mass Air, MSD 6BTM, MSD coil

11.77 @ 119.9
    Best 60ft-1.56
    New project 1991 coupe

read my thread about the tensioner thinggy... I ran an arbor from a Novi-2k which seemed to have alleviate my problem with the tensioner (arbor stud being worn out in particular).

I went through a couple of Novi-1k arbors... broken the screw in two piece in one of them... and etc... After I installed a Novi-2k arbor (longer stud on the pulley side) I never had ANY tensioner problems what so ever.
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

Stangs and other SVT products I've owned...

2001 F150 SVT Lightning (Silver)
    JDM Stage 1 & 2 kit and 3k+ worth of audiosex
    [ sold... ]

91 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

#001 8" Crank Pulley Club

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

"ALWAYS OUT NUMBERED, NEVER OUT GUNNED"

Mustang Videos! Watch'em, upload'em and we host them at:

i had read your post, and it was very informative. i actually was going to do just that, but a guy who runs the CNC department owed me a favor, so now it's time to cash it in!
    Neil

11.77 @ 119.9
    Best 60ft-1.56
    New project 1991 coupe

SWEET :D

lx-convertible, post some pics of the tensioner piece your buddy is going to make! I would love to see how it looks!
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

[ sold... ]

Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Neil

11.77 @ 119.9
    Best 60ft-1.56
    New project 1991 coupe

AWESOME! I am glad someone else agrees with me that the stud on the arbor tensioner from the Novi 1000 is too stubby to take on the stress/pressure it on takes. The Novi 2000 arbor is very, VERY similar to the one you just displayed!

GOOD WORK! Your tensioner problem days are NOW over :)

The replacement part looks awesome :D
    Chris...

[ sold... ]

also on a side note, the machinist who did this strongly recommended the use of a nylon locknut on the end. he said the stresses of the stainless nut on the shaft would strip any threads. he said the nylon nut should never strip out the arbor. just thought i would pass that on.
    Neil

11.77 @ 119.9
    Best 60ft-1.56
    New project 1991 coupe