Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Horizontal Intercooler Mounting

Thread: Horizontal Intercooler Mounting

Horizontal Intercooler Mounting

I have the D-1 blower with 3 core intercooler. I currently have the intercooler mounted vertically in front of the radiator but I'm interested in possibly mounting it horizontally (I've been told several shops, like Larocca's, do it this way). In the summer my car gets a little hot and I think it could be from the intercooler sitting in front of the radiator. Has anyone mounted their's horizontally? Pro's/Con's? Will the tubing fit or does it require modified tubing to work? Thanks guys.
    '94 Cobra, Procharged 10psi, otherwise mostly stock - 400rwhp 412tq

Now more boost and more horses

Best e.t. - don't ask
    Best trap - 119.3

New 347 combo coming soon - shooting for daily driving 600rwhp

SCH Moderator
    I prefer the horizontal mounted cooler but I also don't have a front swaybar. With a swaybar in place it forces the back part of the cooler to be pretty low and close to the ground, especially if you have a lowered car. I'm pretty sure that the horizontal mounted cooler does a better job of cooling the discharge temperatures better also, not to mention that you get better cooling for your engine radiator. I have a custom scoop on mine.
    D-2R ProCharged R302 331
    1.393 60 ft.
    5.868 @ 123.119 (1/8)
    9.072 @ 156.953 (1/4)
    3400 lbs (with me)

"ProCharger...not just blowing hot air"

Photos: http://www.cafords.com/images/john91coupe/hi-res/
    Videos: http://www.cafords.com/mpg/john91coupe/

Thanks John for the reply. Unfortunately I need my sway bar (I drive to & from work on nice days) and its lowered so the horizontal mount is probably out for me. That custom scoop looks very cool.

Best e.t. - don't ask
    Best trap - 119.3

Junior SCH Member
    So what if the car is lowered with no swaybar? Would it still be a problem?

I do want to lower my car ~1" in the front, so would I be able to run a horizontal mount intercooler?

Junior SCH Member
    I've got 5.75" of clearance on my 3 core sheetmetal with a griggs front suspension which lowered my car. The way to do it is remove the stock radiator support and fabricate a new one that is forward of the radiator and also raises the radiator. The bottom of the new support should be about flush with the bottom of the radiator. Then the intercooler can be placed right up to the bottom of the radiator. I gained about 3" of clearance doing this. This also allows moving the intercooler forward of the radiator which eliminates problems with contacting the sway bar in the rear.

edit: I double checked my measurements and I have 5.75" clear to the bottom of the intercooloer itself (at the back which is the lowest) and the scoop has about 4.5" of clearance in the front.
    83 Capri
    Intercooled F1R
    351W, 8.5 Compression
    CNC Canfields
    Solid roller cam
    Super Victor intake
    Holley 750 DP
    1-3/4 headers, 3" exhaust

Junior SCH Member
    83 Capri
    Intercooled F1R
    351W, 8.5 Compression
    CNC Canfields
    Solid roller cam
    Super Victor intake
    Holley 750 DP
    1-3/4 headers, 3" exhaust

Dan H that is a sweet set-up. Thanks for posting the pics, I don't have the ability to fabricate something like that but I know some people who do so I'm definitely going to look into that.

Best e.t. - don't ask
    Best trap - 119.3

Junior SCH Member
    i have the 3-core horizontal intercooler on my lowered stang and I have no swaybar.. the intercooler sits a little low where the tubing connects but it doesn't scrap that much at all.. even on pot holed filled roads in detroit.. there has only been a few times when it scraped and that was when I was accelerating fast on a sharp uphill bridge.. and sometimes on really high uphill curbs/driveways.. but I think mine sits lower than its supposed to.. anyway here is a crappy pic of the intercooler... it looks a lot lower in this pic than it actually is..

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...79_17_full.jpg
    1990 GT - ATI p600b with 3/core IC, Edelbrock 60379's, Trickflow Streetheat, F303 cam, crane 1.7's, 70mm TB/EGR, Romac dampner, T5z, 3.73's w/posi, uneq. shortys, o/r h-pipe, flow cat-back, MSD 6al, msd tfi coil, 75mm Pro-m, Kirban AFPR, 36 lbs. inj, dual 255lph, 3-core HD radiator, eletric fan, BFG drag radials, boost/fuel pressure gauges, sub-frames, alum. DS, steeda springs, tokico premiums, pro3i lc arms.. lots more..
    -450RWHP / 443RWTQ - 12 Lbs of boost
    My car on cardomain.com