Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Questions concerning SBF engine blocks..

Thread: Questions concerning SBF engine blocks..

SCH Member

Questions concerning SBF engine blocks..

Well im in the process of building my new motor. I have an early 70's block sitting in the garage, which i will send to the machine shop shortly. Im going with the scat or eagle 331 stoker rotation assembly, main support of coarse, and building up a nice solid top end for a street driven blower car (S-trim, 7"/3.3", PP). From most of the combos ive noticed, this should result in 500-/+ RWHP and slightly less torque.
    Now ive read time and time agian, that the stock blocks (mine being 94) are almost asking for trouble when you push them past 500RWHP. Now, would this early 70's block be any bit stronger, or able to support anymore power then my 93 block?
    Do the older blocks have a higher nickle content? I thought i read that somwhere? Anyone that has, or knows someone running and older block, maybe u could give your 2 cents..
    Thanks, Mike
    Vibrant Red 94GT

Junior SCH Member

just did this...

We just build a Coast High 342 stroker. We used the sportsman 302 block to add some longevity (hopefully). I don't know much about early 70's blocks other than you'll need to find some retro-fit roller kit I believe, since the lifter bores aren't as tall as the late model roller blocks. Older blocks may have a higher nickel content, I'm not 100% sure. Main girdle will help; we abused a junkyard 302 at 99,000 miles and still ran a 10.80. When we tore it apart, there were no signs of cap walk.

One thing though... We struggling to get back the power we had with the old 302 and we've even gone to a T-trim. When you increase the cubes, it will take more air and fuel to compensate. You may want to stick with a nice 308.
    '93 LX hatch
    342 CHP stroker
    TW heads
    Lunati 51025 cam
    AFM Typhoon intake
    T-trim, Renegade discharge, Mondo bypass
    28/74 cog pulleys
    PA Super Comp C4
    Aeromotive fuel system

No numbers on the new combo - old 302 combo:

10.80 @ 128 - 1.66 60'

Hmmm

If I remember correctly, it is the 69 block which had the higher nickel content.
    393 stroker with YS-trim Vortech :-)