Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mass air meters

Junior SCH Member

Mass air meters

Just out of curiosity what types of mass air meters have ford owners had sucess with in blow thru applications. Are there any other choices besides a univer? is it worth the money? just need imput before output( of money! if you know what I mean.). Making changes before its dyno tuned with new PMS at AFM motorsport. I Have a D1-b w/3 core intercooler on my 93 cobra best et. 12.05 @ 111 mph, 1.51 60 ft. The car layed down in 3rd and 4th gear hopefully that will be cured by scrapping the Fmu and adding the PMS and dyno tuning.

Senior SCH Member

Re: Mass air meters

Originally posted by psschulz
    Just out of curiosity what types of mass air meters have ford owners had sucess with in blow thru applications. Are there any other choices besides a univer? is it worth the money? just need imput before output( of money! if you know what I mean.). Making changes before its dyno tuned with new PMS at AFM motorsport. I Have a D1-b w/3 core intercooler on my 93 cobra best et. 12.05 @ 111 mph, 1.51 60 ft. The car layed down in 3rd and 4th gear hopefully that will be cured by scrapping the Fmu and adding the PMS and dyno tuning.
    Alot of guys do have good experienes w/ the univer, however I am using a pro-m75 bullet blow through flanged and have no issues with it. Car ran well before then tune and better afterwards.

Dan
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

Junior SCH Member
    Dan, Thanks for the info I think that I will just run the meter that I have on the car for now. The meter I have is a 80mm ford out of a lincoln mark it was used in conjunction with a chip from Powertrain dynamics in huntington beach,Ca. it works well with a Ford computer but I had a nitrous setup at the time and I'm not sure if its working properly in a blow thru application. I guess I'll find out and when I do I'll post it. I sure don't want to spend the money if I don't need it.

Senior SCH Member
    Dan, Thanks for the info I think that I will just run the meter that I have on the car for now. The meter I have is a 80mm ford out of a lincoln mark it was used in conjunction with a chip from Powertrain dynamics in huntington beach,Ca. it works well with a Ford computer but I had a nitrous setup at the time and I'm not sure if its working properly in a blow thru application. I guess I'll find out and when I do I'll post it. I sure don't want to spend the money if I don't need it.
    Make sure you get the meter recalibrated for blow through, and supercharged. Can have alot to do with how the car runs/idles.

good luck!

Dan
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

If you are having it dyno tuned... the tuner will know if it pegs (maxes out the meter's ability to sample air) and at that point, no matter what you do, you will need a new meter. My buddy tried and tried to get a Pro-M 75 to work and was never successful becasue it was pegging... it's useless at that point... that's when you need a Univer.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Senior SCH Member
    I had good results with c/l 80 mm and the pro m univer, they both work great
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

Senior SCH Member
    I have tried about every meter imaginable and have had best luck with the 75mm bullet, but even it has had its fair share of problems so I have finally broke down and ordered the Univer, can't wait to see if it was worth the money....

I actually had good luck with a 70mm Cobra meter a few years back but I had a eec tuner so I could tune the bugs out of it, none of them are made to work as a blow-thru unless you get it tuned either via tuner device or chip. But the cheapest and easiest route is probably the Pro M 75 cal'd for blow thru and S/C which is only about $200 for all.
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

Junior SCH Member
    If you just ordered the meter are you aware they have a new univer? It's the univer plus and it's a 100.00 dollars cheaper and said to work the same. The difference is it's less expensive to manufacture. I believe it's a cast piece instead of custom made. I'll findout this week.Thanks for the info.
    Paul.

Yes, they did just release the Univer plus which is less expensive just as you said. It is kind of like the Bullet to the origional Pro-M 77mm. I haven't heard anything about them, but I would assume that it will be just about as good as the origional Univer.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Senior SCH Member
    Yes that is correct. The guy I ordered my Univer from told me about the Plus and said it was just a cast version of the original Univer which was hand built and tig welded. I went ahead and ordered the Plus but got sent the original!! It is a very nice piece and custom made, looks really trick! As they get popular they will go down I figure, its an awesome thing! and totally straightened out my car! but beware, it is a TUNERS piece and if you just bolt it on and go the car will run VERY lean under boost. It was designed for a tuner to be able to enter the flow transfer into the EEC and tune from there. It is not a plug-and-play meter like the regular Pro M's are. FYI
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

Junior SCH Member
    How much are the "plus" Univers? Where's a good place to buy one?

Chad
    78 Regal (stock)
    89 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary (parts purchased, but not installed)
    93 Mustang LX 5.0 ex-FHP car (modified)
    02 Camaro Z28 35th Anniversary (light mods)
    http://members.aol.com/chadtn

Junior SCH Member
    I bought mine from Pro M for 299.00 and recieved a univer instead of the Plus? The car is still apart so I don't know if it helped any but I'm sure it will.

Junior SCH Member
    I bought mine from Pro M for 299.00 and recieved a univer instead of the Plus? The car is still apart so I don't know if it helped any but I'm sure it will.
    Probably a stupid question but how were you able to buy directly from Pro-M. I've been to the website and clicked on the "buy online" box and it took me to a third party retailer and thier price for the Univer was like $400 . Let me know how you were able to get it at that price please!!!:D
    94 GT, with ..........NOTHING yet.

Junior SCH Member
    I had the same problem. I couldn't order from the website because they didn't list the unit. The website I guess is really Pro Flow because they said they didn't update the site for the univer plus yet. Some manufacturers don't sell outright to the public so you have to buy from one of their dealers, but this isn't the case. I emailed the company's techline and got their phone number. I then called in my order instead of doing it online. I don't have the number handy but if you need it I can post it as soon as I find it.

Junior SCH Member
    I had the same problem. I couldn't order from the website because they didn't list the unit. The website I guess is really Pro Flow because they said they didn't update the site for the univer plus yet. Some manufacturers don't sell outright to the public so you have to buy from one of their dealers, but this isn't the case. I emailed the company's techline and got their phone number. I then called in my order instead of doing it online. I don't have the number handy but if you need it I can post it as soon as I find it.
    That would be awsome. I would really appreciate it thanks.
    94 GT, with ..........NOTHING yet.