Thread: Question about taking the volute off of the blower...

Question about taking the volute off of the blower... HOW???

I suspect that my P1SC is leaking into the volute... before I finish everything on the car, install it and find out a couple of days later that all of the oil is gone and coating the discharge tubing, I would like to make sure first. I know that there are a bunch of allen screws with washers that look like they hold it on and in place, but I am not sure. Is there a way that I could mark it's position and take it off to see for sure? I am not going to have piece of mind till I know for sure. Thanx guys!
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Senior SCH Member
    Yes, I don't see why not. I've had mine apart a few times just to check the seals and just marked it with a Sharpie to keep it clocked right. I haven't had a single problem. Just make sure to tighten all the allen bolts and try to do it in a criss-cross pattern so it tightens down evenly. Its really a very simple thing to do.
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

Great! Thank you very much! Is there anything I should be looking for imparticularly in there other than oil residue? Is there a way to check the seals themselves? Any info would be great as to what to do. Thank you!

P.S. Are there any o-rings or anything like that on the volute? I don't want to screw up the seal by taking it apart.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    No, just taking the volute off you should'nt disturb anything at all. The seals and bearings are all behind the impeller. Just look for heavy oil deposits or chips to the inducer and any other thing thats out of the ordinary. I was told that a *light* oil film is totally normal in the proCharger just as long as it isn't heavy you're ok.
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

Awesome. Thank you very much. I am leaving the office right now and I am going to dig into it as soon as I get home. I will post what I find either later today or tomorrow. Thanx again!
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Okay... I pulled the volute off of the blower last night and this is what I found. There was a good ammount of oil sitting in the volute puddled up a little bit as I suspected but I don't think it is leaking from the internal seals at all. There was NO oil residue on the impellar, or on the body of the blower (around the impellar) at all (just the normal oily film from the K&N more or less, but no build-up to speak of).

When I stored the blower, I plugged the inlet and the outlet of the blower and layed it down on the inlet side (pulley side up). Over the months that it was like that, it leaked mainly from the dipstick and I think the other plug up top too... and the oil dripped down the volute and basically all over the place slowly over the time that it was there (which isn't that odd because the dipstick seal wasn't designed to have oil sitting on it for any length of time... especially for that long). It was clear that the oil then got in through the seam of the volute (there was oil all over where the volute and blower go together in that seam) and ran down it on the inside and colleced bassicaly directly below where the dipstick is.

Needless to say, I cleaned it up real good while I was in there... whiped the impeller down carefully, the body on the inside, cleaned the hell out of the volute (had a nice K&N film coating the whole thing) and put it all back together. I would have taken a pic (doesn't look anything like I thougth it would with the volute off) but I don't have my digital camera at home right now. Anyway, that's the update... what do you think? I personally don't think there is a bad seal or I would have seen oil on the body and impeller where it ran down and dripped (I would think).
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST