Thread: A/F Timing Question?

Junior SCH Member

A/F Timing Question?

I'm getting my car retuned next week and just wanted to see what kind of timing a/f ratio people are using. currently i'm using 11.5 a/f at 14 degrees of timing. i'm putting down 340 rwhp and 355 rwtq at 5000rpms.
    Al
    01-891 Saleen Vert
    Bullitt Intake
    P1SC 10psi

Senior SCH Member

Re: A/F Timing Question?

Originally posted by S281
    I'm getting my car retuned next week and just wanted to see what kind of timing a/f ratio people are using. currently i'm using 11.5 a/f at 14 degrees of timing. i'm putting down 340 rwhp and 355 rwtq at 5000rpms.
    What is your modifications done to the car, fuel system etc?
    I am running 11:1 a/f with 23 degree total timing and think the tune is too rich. Personally next time I have the car tuned its going to be 11.5:1 or closer to 12:1, when a car runs as rich as mine does, the oil gets contaminated quickly with fuel, plugs get fouled easily, and the car isn't as responsive as I like.

Dan
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

Junior SCH Member
    my set up is as fallows:

2001 GT
    bullitt intake swap
    90mm lightning maf
    42lbs injectors
    kennebell boost a pump
    p1sc w/3core 10psi
    jms 3 program chip

my tunner was said he could've put more timing but i was hitting 17.0 a/f and 20psi at 5000rpms. i think i fixed that problem by modifing the pump bucket in the tank and fixed a loose wire on the boostapump. i'm now getting about 40-45psi of fuel. my block and internals are all stock how much timing do you think it can take?
    Al
    01-891 Saleen Vert
    Bullitt Intake
    P1SC 10psi

You said that you have a tuner... why don't you fix all of the problems with the car (which you did... gas tank and FP wiring) and just take it up to him... trust your tuner, let him tune the car's fuel and timing tables, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you assuming that he is a good, reputable tuner.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Sorry for the second post (meant to hit the edit button instead of reply... oh well) but I just wanted to add... every time my tuner has gotten done with my car or any other cars that I build, there is a 'everything is perfect... don't touch it' rule that he appies to it and that is just the way it works. I bring him a car that is 100% without doubt completed and working car in every way and he works his magic from there... then the car is done.

Just get your car 100% working and all of the little quirks out of it and then take it to your tuner to seal the deal with it.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Junior SCH Member
    yeah i think i'm there. i just fixed some vacuum issues and thought everything was ready and then blew an altenator. get that part in today along with new tires and hopefully i'll be able to get it tuned next week. next up is that power pipe i've been seeing people on here put on.
    Al
    01-891 Saleen Vert
    Bullitt Intake
    P1SC 10psi

Like I said... get EVERYTHING done. If you are going to do a power pipe... do it before you take it back... a once safe tune is no longer safe once more boost is added... trust me. Don't take any chances... just get the pipe, change whatever you are goign to change. Take the car 100% complete to the tuner.

BTW, get the powerpipe... VERY worth it from what I hear. I have one, what a beautiful piece... just that my car isn't done yet, so I won't know how worth it, it really was till it's all done.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST