Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Studdering with FMU.....?

Senior SCH Member
    Really......Hmmmmm now that poses a whole new scenario for me! Hopefully its something that simple :) I'll drop the plug gaps tonight and see what I get.

I haven't messed with the puter yet, as I don't really wanna "fix it if it aint broken"..... I will eventually get that done though so I don't have any problems down the road.. I'll keep you guys updated!

Dan- are you hitting MD's street night on the 19th of this month? If mine is tuned I should be there.

Originally posted by SnakeIs
    It is the bullet style meter with a 42# calibration Non-supercharged because I was told they make it really rich. It is a blow-thru type also for the ProCharger.
    Is it a non-supercharged version, or is it?... I am confused... you also said in the same statement that it is a blow-through type... if it is, then it IS a supercharger meter. Either way, I get the picture, just wanted to see if maybe you could help me out with that one

I would like to see you get your gap down under .030 (between .030 and .025) and see how that works for you. Let us know what happens.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Senior SCH Member
    Really......Hmmmmm now that poses a whole new scenario for me! Hopefully its something that simple :) I'll drop the plug gaps tonight and see what I get.

I haven't messed with the puter yet, as I don't really wanna "fix it if it aint broken"..... I will eventually get that done though so I don't have any problems down the road.. I'll keep you guys updated!

Dan- are you hitting MD's street night on the 19th of this month? If mine is tuned I should be there.
    Well I hope it is something as simple as that, I am willing to bet that dropping the gap should help to a degree, but I still believe there is an underlying problem w/ the car.
    I would love to hit mason dixons street night on the 19th, however I think I need to pull the heads off the car and change the head gaskets. I need to go out and buy a manual to help me along since I've never changed a set of head gaskets before. ( this should be interesting ) IF my one friend comes up and helps me get it done, I might have a shot at racing soon, but I doubt that he's gonna show.

later
    Dan
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

Senior SCH Member
    Ok, sorry for the terrible description guys....It is a standard Pro M 75mm bullet that is cal'd for 42# injectors. It is not cal'd for SC or blow-thru, but I am using it as a blow thru with the procharger. I know I should probably get the correct blow thru meter but this one has always worked before.

I went home yesterday and got the widenband in and began tuning all evening...I got the AFR up to a safe 11.0-11.5 at WOT and it is cruising at about 14.6-14.9 (a lil lean I think) This made the car run much better! (imagine that!) but it was still hitting a wall at 4k.... I took the plugs out as you guys suggested and dropped them from .035 to .025 and VIOLA! it now pulls to redline! :) :) :)

I still have some driveability and cruising issues I want to straighten out as those 42's are some big injectors!, but it at least pulls up in full boost now! Thanks so much Dan and Don (Paluka and WA2FAST) for the suggestions and ideas! I think I can get some power outta this thing now....

Senior SCH Member
    Ok, sorry for the terrible description guys....It is a standard Pro M 75mm bullet that is cal'd for 42# injectors. It is not cal'd for SC or blow-thru, but I am using it as a blow thru with the procharger. I know I should probably get the correct blow thru meter but this one has always worked before.

I went home yesterday and got the widenband in and began tuning all evening...I got the AFR up to a safe 11.0-11.5 at WOT and it is cruising at about 14.6-14.9 (a lil lean I think) This made the car run much better! (imagine that!) but it was still hitting a wall at 4k.... I took the plugs out as you guys suggested and dropped them from .035 to .025 and VIOLA! it now pulls to redline! :) :) :)

I still have some driveability and cruising issues I want to straighten out as those 42's are some big injectors!, but it at least pulls up in full boost now! Thanks so much Dan and Don (Paluka and WA2FAST) for the suggestions and ideas! I think I can get some power outta this thing now....
    Great to hear its running better. I would honestly still get that meter calibrated for blow through, because if its not your not gonna get the right readings to the EEC. ( I believe that pro-m's default is draw through ) 14.6-14.9 is kinda lean still for even crusing.
    I really think that you shouldn't have any issues with 42's, to be honest they aren't as big as you think originally. When I strapped my car on the dyno at laroccas, he actually backed off the first pull because it was lean up top with 50's.
    congrats and keep updated
    DAN
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

That's great news that it's running better... good to hear. I figured that the spark gap would help out quite a bit and it's great that you finaly were able to get it to 11:1 a/f at WOT... the cruising a/f is lean... would concern me a bit, but at the same time, I would worry more about partial throttle accelleration than cruising. I think your problem now is that your meter isn't callibrated for a blow through application... I don't think you are going to be able to get away from their being a large variance between cruising a/f and wot a/f. The whole point behind Pro-M having their blow through meters running rich is to close that gap... if you had one, you would have to lean out the fuel tables across the board to get your a/f to 11:1 and in doing so, your cruising a/f would then be lower as well. If you are going to get a new meter (which I highly suggest... especialy because you are tunign the car yourself - a lot of work and time)... do yourself a favor and get the Univer... night and day difference, especially with ease of tuning. I know that I sound like a broken record when it comes to the Univer, but there is a reason for it.

Any numbers on the dyno yet? Bet they are WAY better than before...
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    Yes, I'm contemplating the new meter, but I think I'm going to have to go with the blow thru bullet, cause the budget just won't cut it for the univer, that thing is expensive! I have a perfect Pro M 77 cal'd for supercharger and and 42's but its the big draw thru type only, and I can't seem to sell it, thats what I was gonna use to buy my new meter.. know anyone that needs one? $175 and its yours.

With the tuner, I am able to richen all different points in the maf curve so I think I'm just going to fatten up the cruise and midrange some and see what that does. It has a really nice function called WOT_FUEL _MUlTIPLIER that I can use to richen or lean it out when its at WOT and in boost so it makes things pretty simple. But now I seem to have something crazy going on with the fuel tables....it will start up and run good for a few minutes and then it drops down to a 10.5afr and barely runs for about 30 seconds and slowly climbs back up to where I set it and then runs fine.... I have yet yo figure out whats doing this, but I'm working on it. Thanks again for the help guys!

Senior SCH Member
    Guys, just as an update I broke down an ordered the Pro M Univer MAF today... If you are interested or know someone that is I can get them way cheaper then anyone else can....Just let me know!
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

Guys, just as an update I broke down an ordered the Pro M Univer MAF today...
    Yea!!! :) :D
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    Ok, the new Univer goes on today (this afternoon I hope) as well as some new NGK V plugs and I will hook the wide band up and see what happens.... I will let you guys know. I think if this doesn't clear up the studder in midrange then I'm pulling the A9L out and putting the original computer back in, it never did this with the 95 EEC in there.......
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......