Thread: need help

Junior SCH Member

need help

i am looking to buy a blower for my 306. i need some advice on whether to get a vortech s trim or a novi 2000? i am looking for 12-15 lbs boosts. also which is the louder blower. any advice is greatly appreciated

Here's the deal, both are great blowers, don't get me wrong, but the novi 2000 and the s-trim are not on the same pages. If you look at some pics you'll se that the novi's brackets are about 10 times more sturdy then the vortecs. You'll never find an extra bracket firming device for a novi. The novi comes with a 10 rib belt, where the vortech comes with an 8. And at 12 to 15 pounds of boost the novi will be on holiday, and going to create alot less intake charge then the s-trim at an equal boost level. Less intake charge tempeture equals more timing and more power. Finally the noise levels are pretty different. The old s-trims are loud to say the least, while the newer sc models tend to sound a little more like the novi's. A 2000 will just be slightly audible at idel, and and virtually soundless while cruising. they do tend to make a good air moving sound under boost though. Hope this helps.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

the novi can ultimately handle more boost if you make an engine to handle it.

I have the 2k with the stock pulley and I can barely barely barely hear it on my stock 5.0. Definitely doesn't sound loud at all.

The NOVI 2K is not really the best Vortech to compete with the 2K. If you want to compare HP numbers, flow, and sound you need to compare it to the Vortech YS Trim.

The 2K moves much more air and can make way more power than the S - so if you are trying to decide between the 2K and the S, I would take the 2K hands down.

Ian

Junior SCH Member
    thanks for the info. what kind of combos and power numbers are you guys putting down. i would rather have the louder blower but it really doesnt matter

The new SC trim blowers are supposedly quieter than the Novi2000. They all have helical cut gears as opposed to the straight cut gears the older vortech's used. The straight cut gears used in the older a-s-r-t trims were loud. For a short period you could order either one, but I don't think that is the case anymore. You'll see power numbers anywhere from 330hp to 750+ on all kinds of combos here. If you post up info about your setup or your proposed setup they could give you a rough guesstimate.

Junior SCH Member
    my combo is ported tfs heads, holley intake, stage 2 tfs cam, 1.6 frpp rockers 70mm tb, 80mm mass air, 42lb inj., 190 intank,255 inline fuel pumps, 306 with 9.0 compression and a main girdle. how much boost can you safely run with a girdle? i am looking for 500rwhp with about 14lbs. what do you guys think?

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    You appear to have all the right engine parts lined up to make 500rwhp with a Novi 2k, likely somewhat more than that.

You seem concerned that you might risk cracking open a stock block at this power/boost level. Your concerns are justified, depeending on depending on. How are you planning to use this much power? Street or drag? Auto or stick? Slicks? Redline? The answers to these questions will indicate which way you'll go with additional modifications &/or whether the block will hold up.

My own humble opinion on going for 500+rwhp from a stock block 5.0, and make it last for any decent amount of time, is to go with the softer hit of turbocharging and a sub-6k rpm shift point, otherwise I'd build a Windsor instead. But I'm not like everyone else. ;)
    Chris

Junior SCH Member
    i may go to the track 2 times a year. i do more street racing than anything. its a stick car and it will be ran on bfg drag radials not slicks. i plan on shifting at or under 6100rpms.

SCH Member
    i wouldn't call my novi 2k quite. it's not as loud as a p600b or a old s trim but it's sounds better than those did. it sounds awesome and when i pull in anywhere heads turn!!!!!!!!
    93 cobra#256 witha noisy alternator