Thread: intakes and throttle bodies

Junior SCH Member

intakes and throttle bodies

I'm wondering what if its worth the dollars changing from a cobra and 65mm throttle body to let's say a edelbrock rpm efi or typhoon and 70mm throttle body. My car has a d1b making about 12 lbs of boost on a 306 DSS twisted wedge , b4 afm cam and all the bolt ons. Just got a pms and shortly heading to the dyno. But before I head to dyno I might change the intake if it will make a great performance gain. If it doesn't pick up that much I'll save the money for other things. Just looking to learn from other peoples experiences with intake manifold combinations. Is the is the 65mm enuff? or do I need more?
    Thanks everyone for helping on previous posts.
    Paul.

Junior SCH Member
    Your probably going to here about how you should get a Holley or Trick flow. If you like to drive your car around town a lot I would stick with the cobra. Some pople make lots of power with the cobra stuff, but you can usually make more with the other aftermarket intakes. It's all what you want.

I'd say this will get your thread going for you.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the response hope to hear from some other people soon. I'm getting itchy but with 4-7inches of snow comming in Chicagoland it might cool the fever.
    Thanks again.

With your combination... I'd say that the bottle-neck of your setup, especially being blown is your intake and t-body. I think that if you switched over to either the Holley Systemax II (which would be my first choice) or the Trick Flow R intake with a 70mm t-body, you'd be supprised at the gains. I think it would definately be worth it for you.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Senior SCH Member
    There was a debate on this over at the corral, alot of guys thought it isn't worth it to change from a GT40 intake to a systemax or rpm performer etc. They claimed that you can tune your car for more performance with what you have instead of just bolting on extras...however, if indeed you have a better flowing intake you will be able to tune the car for more power than you could w/ a less flowing intake..common sense. And to me,spending a few hundred on an intake is worth it for a 20-30hp gain.
    Here is a link to AFM's dyno results on blower intakes. http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/50-index Check out the February 2000 issue under the Super Fords column about blower real street intakes. It appears that the Edelbrock and Holley intakes flowed the best for our applications.
    Again, personally I think its worth it to switch intakes over a cobra upper and lower intake manifold, which I plan on doing eventually.

Dan
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

The thing to also take into consideration is the fact that the more you have done to your car (exhaust, intake, heads, cam...) as long as it is matched well, with a blower car, precentage wise, it's worth way more power than a N/A car. If you pickup 2-5rwhp on a N/A setup, you probibly wouldn't be happy... but that same combo is worth more like 20-30 on a blown car, so every little bit counts... I am totaly with Dan on this one... to me, the extra money is well spent for that much of an increase. On N/A setups, that much of a gain is hard to come-by without dropping some serious loot... but on a blown setup, 20-30 wheel power is only a few hundred dollars away in most cases... well worth the investment if you ask me.

The tune of the car is crutial... if the money is either going to be spent on a tune or a new intake... hands down get the tune... there is nothing that you can spend your money on than a tune... especially on a forced induction car if not for the power gains (which are almost always substantial), then for the safety of your engine and drivability. First and formost, make sure that either way you are going to get the car tuned... but if you have money for an intake and are considering it, helping that blown best breathe is only going to give you more power any way you look at it.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    Originally posted by WA2FAST
    The thing to also take into consideration is the fact that the more you have done to your car (exhaust, intake, heads, cam...) as long as it is matched well, with a blower car, precentage wise, it's worth way more power than a N/A car. If you pickup 2-5rwhp on a N/A setup, you probibly wouldn't be happy... but that same combo is worth more like 20-30 on a blown car, so every little bit counts... I am totaly with Dan on this one... to me, the extra money is well spent for that much of an increase. On N/A setups, that much of a gain is hard to come-by without dropping some serious loot... but on a blown setup, 20-30 wheel power is only a few hundred dollars away in most cases... well worth the investment if you ask me.

The tune of the car is crutial... if the money is either going to be spent on a tune or a new intake... hands down get the tune... there is nothing that you can spend your money on than a tune... especially on a forced induction car if not for the power gains (which are almost always substantial), then for the safety of your engine and drivability. First and formost, make sure that either way you are going to get the car tuned... but if you have money for an intake and are considering it, helping that blown best breathe is only going to give you more power any way you look at it.
    Don, I agree with you also about the tune,,very important!
    Now here is where I, and possibly you are still asking some questions in regards to intake. What you said about exhaust, heads, cam intake, being well matched, I am still concerned that a systemax upper/lower intake will swollow our GT40X heads, as in runner sizing if you don't have them match ported. What do you think? This guy here is running a TFS head which is a higher flowing head with larger ports than the GT40x's. ( not sure by how much )
    Whats your thought's?
    Dan
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

To my understanding, the Systemax intake is a great match for TFS heads and depending on the rest of the combo and the such, the intakes (TFS vs. the Systemax) are a toss-up... damn close, but the Systemax usually comes out on top.

As far as we are concerned... the runner at the base is definitely larger than our intake ports, yes, but no harm done... the long runners will keep torque higher while providing no restriction through the intake giving the velocity of air/fuel a real nice push through the intake ports and valve. My tuner said that TFS heads are a gold mine with forced induction... I have seen it myself, but if you port match, even a little bit (you don't have to though) the heads and have a nice valve job, the velocity is prime for making relatively inefficient (compared to others) heads make some serious power.

I know that sounds confusing, but just think about it, maybe I could have put that better, but hopefully you understand what I am trying to say. It wouldn't hurt us to get the Systemax intake, but at the same time, no, it's not going to be worth as much for us as it is him. We would get minimal gains comparatively, but would be A) better equipped for future injected (and especially blown) combos, and B) would have a higher flowing intake that would still probably end up making more power across the board by providing both long runners (even longer than the GT-40) for torque and also much higher flowing runners with a better design for the high end that we are somewhat missing out on.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Junior SCH Member
    Dan&Don,
    Thanks for your imput I decided to go with the Typhoon(rpm copy) intake. My reason for that is can get this setup for just under 500.00 polished intake,70mm throttle body and egr spacer.The only part is I'm a little worried about the quality of the product. I'm shure that it will need a few hours of elbow grease cleaning the casting. But at that price I think I will be worth it, and still have the dyno money. I've built and raced many cars in my life and know how important tuning is. I used to go to the track every weekend to test and tune and race.Rigoriusly devoting your life to your hobby and all of a sudden you realize what pain a** it is with truck trailer and car and the amount of seat time you get its just not worth it(unless your a millionaire).I sold everything and I'm having alot more fun with this street strip setup going to cruise nights and ocasional dragstrip trips.If Still get to drive my friends racecars every now and then as long as I have my nhra license(it's an awsome rush leaving on the brake with two big nitrous kits).Thanks for all your help I'll keep you posted with the dyno results and soon after that et slips.Keep it simple guys youll have alot more fun.

Junior SCH Member