Thread: max boost?

max boost?

What boost level can a Novi 2000 produce on a 464 big block at max impeller speed? I know they say 25 to 30 lbs on a 302, so what do you think max boost can be with a 464?

[(D x R) / 3456] x [(B / 14.7) + 1] = C
    D = Cubic inch displacement of the motor
    R = Maximum engine RPM
    B = Maximum blower boost
    C = Maximum CFM required

For example:

[(464 x 6000) / 3456] x [(16 / 14.7) + 1] = C

This would get you about 1681 cfm.

Novi 2000 is rated around 1600-1700 cfm. So that equation would tell you about 15-16 psi as a rough guess. You can plugin what rpm you want to shift around and throw the numbers in.

Thanks Hustler! The formula works great! Can you factor in an inter cooler?

Well with an intercooler it really depends on the efficiency of the intercooler, how large the inlet/outlets are along with the size of the intercooler. You might lose 1-3 lbs going through an intercooler. I think thats related to slowing the velocity of the incoming air. Remember that boost is a measure of restriction/backpressure. The more capable/efficient your engine is of moving air through it the less resistence the air sees, resulting in less boost. That's why a larger motor typically sees less boost while moving the same amount of air through the blower. The ports are larger, the cylinders are larger, headers are typically larger obviously etc, etc.

What are you building the motor for, race, street? Just curious why are you looking for boost numbers? What are you comparing them with?

I'm building a street engine. I wanted to match the formula against the dyno. I'll be on the dyno real soon. I'm hoping for around 17lbs max boost at 5500