Thread: can tapping oil pan cause gasket to leak?

can tapping oil pan cause gasket to leak?

I've started noticing a few drops of oil. I originally thought it was the rear main, but I was wondering if hammering the oil pan with the tap would loosen the gasket enough to cause a slow leak?

I thought about it mainly b/c it started after the s/c was installed (3 weeks ago). It's only a drop or two per day, and it appears to come from the engine/transmission junction.

I'm going to clean the underside and see where it's coming from. Any ideas?

thanks

I would not think so...

Clean the engine and have another look. Maybe it is coming out of the return and just floating down the engine?

Ian

I crawled under my car. The valve covers looks good and so does the oil pan. Everything looks clean except the "shield" that's located in front of the transmission. I'll bet it's the rear main seal.

Welcome to the world of forced induction, the increased crankcase pressure may be the culprit and you may begin to have leaks on seals that previously didn't. If you do have to replace, I recommend using OE seals, from the various seals I've replaced I have observed a marked difference in quality when you compare the Ford seal to one you get from one of the chain auto parts stores, the Ford seal will usually be a few bucks more but worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th