Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
start up tune suggestions for my ys

Thread: start up tune suggestions for my ys

SCH Member

start up tune suggestions for my ys

combo:
    -ys reneagde kit, been considering a smaller blower pulley estimate 18lbs at 6000rpm with similar combos with 8 and 3 pulley's (onder whre a 3.15 or 3.3 would put it). Power pipe etc
    -pms and wide band to tune with
    - 47.7's and fuel stuff etc
    -tfs tw stock heads
    -tfs newer design track heat intake with 75mm TB
    -220/226 and 509 and 539 lift with 112 lc non-symetrical cam
    -mac 13/4 long tubes into a 3 inch Dr.as system

Use of car maybe one heavy cruise night a week on Sundays etc. I was going to use Torco accellerator mixed with pump fuel to try and get the octane around 100 but I am open to ideas there or even pump tune! I am also open to base FP settings and max timing etc. Pulley changes or what all you have to say shoot away.... please

Side note.....
    Guys I must admit I don't know much about transmissions and have never been in a high performace auto but I hear these guys drive around; sounds like they are revving and barely moving and I would guess all saugy performace on the bottom? Do you think a c4 would be better for traction on the street over a tremec and what do you think would be faster to say 60mph?... or how bout from a 30mph roll?

SCH Member
    lol do i sound nuts... I cannot believe none of ya have a similar combo please do share your time thanks:)

LOL-Hmmm

MY combo is close to yours, but my engine is still on the stand and I am waiting on Dynamic to finish my Mighty Mite. So I have the same questions as you do. I will start with the 8"-3" combo but , I plan to change to the 2.85 blower pulley whe I get things sorted out.
    393 stroker with YS-trim Vortech :-)

Junior SCH Member
    I went with the 8"/3.3" pullies on Spence's advice. I'm seeing about 14lbs. so far on the boost gauge. Still waiting to get it on the dyno to check air-fuel.
    1988 5spd Coupe
    Powerdyne combo-427rwhp/415rwtq 12.2@120--2.0 60ft.
    YS combo-525hp/455tq

SCH Member
    blwn88cpe nice car bud lol add a ford spoiler and change the ROH's to the zr6 and it looks exactly like my car:) So whats the rest of your combo? I wonder if a 3.15 would put you right at 15/16 that would be I bet the sweet spot how does your car feel?

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by -ice-man-
    blwn88cpe nice car bud lol add a ford spoiler and change the ROH's to the zr6 and it looks exactly like my car:) So whats the rest of your combo? I wonder if a 3.15 would put you right at 15/16 that would be I bet the sweet spot how does your car feel?
    Holley intake, 6037 heads, AFM B2 cam, powerpipe, Total Perf. fuel sytem, 42lb injectors, 80mm mass air, 70mm TB, BBK 1-3/4 full length headers, Magnaflow cat-back, stock bottom end. Also have a PMS but haven't hooked it up yet.

Not sure about the 3.15, might have to look into that. I haven't driven the car "too hard" yet as I don't want to pop my head gaskets but overall the car pulls very hard, especially from 4000rpm-on. My old Powerdyne, Cobra-intaked, no powerpipe, 75mm mass air, 65mm TB combo made 427rwhp/415rwtq at about 5600rpm with only 8-8.5psi so I'm hopeing for at least 50 or more hp and tq. One quick question, Where did you mount your PMS?
    1988 5spd Coupe
    YS combo-525hp/455tq

Junior SCH Member
    I run Phillips B42 exclusively... (100 MON, 110 RON)

With 72/28 cogs on this fuel without the igloo, I ran 21 degrees total timing.... datalog looked similar to:

Except I took out a top end boost retard that I forgot about.... You can see that around sample 500 I am at 20 degrees total timing... instead of pulling the additional timing out up top, I keep it flat to redline... next step is to add some additional timing back in above the torque peak to carry the torque curve out further and increase the area under the curve.

I run 11:1 A/F on the dyno (yes, I'm leaving some power on the table, but I like to be safe).

Dyno chart for that pull (21 degrees total timing) is:

SCH Member
    Wow thanks Andrew. I like the whole curve information and have a question for blwn88cpe is that cam similar to mine and whats your boost curve look like with the 3.3? My PMS and wideband I only ordered last monday (1.5 weeks ago) and I have not received them yet...hopefully near the weekend I do:) I know this sounds dumb but I may not elect to mount my fp gauge and boost gauge from autometer and keep my interior very clean and just rely on the pms for boost and my wideband for air/fuel ratio while keeping a lower street cruising profile;)

Junior SCH Member
    ice-man, my cam is 220/226 duration and 529/544 lift. It is the same cam as the B-3 designed to work with my 1.7 rockers. Not sure what you mean with boost curve, but I see about 10lbs by 4000rpm.
    1988 5spd Coupe
    YS combo-525hp/455tq

SCH Member
    Thanks based on your info I am gonna start with a 3.15 seaming our combo's are very similar. I woulda thought though if you saw 10lbs at 4000rpm it would be higher than 14lbs at 6000rpm? Might have slippage there; though the 8.3.3 combo should be really good for that. It will be nice to compare this summer with you your pms curves/settings etc when you get them going. This is turning into a great little thread.

Junior SCH Member
    I haven't run it up to 6000rpm yet, so maybe I will see about 15-16psi. Also, I really tightened dow the belt last time which should help with slippage.
    1988 5spd Coupe
    YS combo-525hp/455tq

SCH Member
    Talked to Andersons today about my backorder pms and wideband... funny they swear against anything smaller than the 8 and 3 and say the YS really isn't any good till 18 psi plus now I am confused:(

Hmmm

The guys that run Renegade uses 8" and 2.85" pulleys.
    393 stroker with YS-trim Vortech :-)

SCH Member
    when i said smaller I meant boost numbers not pulley size sorry for the confusion...my fault;)

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by -ice-man-
    Talked to Andersons today about my backorder pms and wideband... funny they swear against anything smaller than the 8 and 3 and say the YS really isn't any good till 18 psi plus now I am confused:(
    I went through the same thing and decided on the YS. I talked to alot of guys that had experience with both the s-trim and YS, and the general consensus was to go with the YS. When/if I ever build a new motor(which would be a 331c.i. or greater) the YS would be better because it is capable of pushing more air, more efficiently than the S. I'm not sure, but I believe once you start going over 14-15psi with an S-trim the efficiency starts to drop and the air heats up alot more as well. It is a toss up as to how long a stock block would last with 18+ psi. My bet is that it wouldn't hold up long at all if it is run hard on a regular basis. Overall I'm happy with the YS so far and hopefully it will be the last blower I'll have to buy.
    1988 5spd Coupe
    YS combo-525hp/455tq