Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
question about tapping the pan

Thread: question about tapping the pan

Junior SCH Member

question about tapping the pan

Right now I have my timing cover off and I can get to where I need to tap the pan from the inside. Should I do exactly what the directions say or should I drill the hole and stick a nut with a lock washer on the inside of the pan and use a sealent of some sort?

Personally, I would do it as the instructions tell you. The problem with drilling it is it will create a lot of metal shavings that will fall into the pan and odds are a lot will stay behind when you drain the oil. When you punch and tap the pan, very little if any metal shavings find there way into the pan.

Junior SCH Member
    I think I can catch all the shavings because I can very easily access the spot where the hole is.

I planning on doing as the instructions but I just wanted to question it before doing it. I figured I could have a tighter seal and less of a chance of getting it knocked loose.

On my car I'm going to have the pan off since I'm doing a motor swap, so I'm welding a bung onto the pan and attaching the brass fitting to that. I made my own bung out of 3/4" steel pipe and threaded the inside of it with a 3/8 NPT tap. Should make for a leak free seal and sturdy to boot.

After you tap the pan, coat the fitting with silicone (like the directions say) and just thread it in. I put silicone around the fitting as well. The seal is excellent and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.
    ~Dan
    2001 SVT Lightning: Flowmaster exhaust and mystery traction bars

89' GT : Waiting for a buyer