Thread: blower alignment

Junior SCH Member

blower alignment

I have never been able to get the blower pulley and crank pulley perfectly aligned with my set up. I have a p600b, and have the updated bracket based on the back half of the D 1 - P 1sc street bracket (A/C).

I ordered a cheapo magnetic base and a dial indicator from harbor freight. and am looking for some idea how to use it to corect the alignment. As it is now Its shimmed between the main and blower bracket to move the blower pulley in line with the crank.

The blower itself is also still shimmed as if it was on the old school cast bracket. Basicaly the upper and outer mounting points have washers. With no shimming the blower starts off about 1/8 inch behind the crank, and tilted both in (from a plan view)and back (from a side view) from the plane of the crank pulley. Its very close, and with the big 9 lbs pulley its fine. With the 14 lbs. pulley, it chews up the edges of belts and throws them ocasionaly.

The automatic tensioner has also never been perfectly aligned either, so I'm looking for tips on getting that lined up to.

I plan on trying to shim it to a finer degree with the dial indicator and some 3/8 arbor shims that have preciese sizes.

Does any one have any experience with this procedure? I'm sure theres a trick to setting up the base and indicator, so that I can measure the tilt of the blower.

Senior SCH Member

Re: blower alignment

Originally posted by RI lx
    I have never been able to get the blower pulley and crank pulley perfectly aligned with my set up. I have a p600b, and have the updated bracket based on the back half of the D 1 - P 1sc street bracket (A/C).

I ordered a cheapo magnetic base and a dial indicator from harbor freight. and am looking for some idea how to use it to corect the alignment. As it is now Its shimmed between the main and blower bracket to move the blower pulley in line with the crank.

The blower itself is also still shimmed as if it was on the old school cast bracket. Basicaly the upper and outer mounting points have washers. With no shimming the blower starts off about 1/8 inch behind the crank, and tilted both in (from a plan view)and back (from a side view) from the plane of the crank pulley. Its very close, and with the big 9 lbs pulley its fine. With the 14 lbs. pulley, it chews up the edges of belts and throws them ocasionaly.

The automatic tensioner has also never been perfectly aligned either, so I'm looking for tips on getting that lined up to.

I plan on trying to shim it to a finer degree with the dial indicator and some 3/8 arbor shims that have preciese sizes.

Does any one have any experience with this procedure? I'm sure theres a trick to setting up the base and indicator, so that I can measure the tilt of the blower.

Is it possible for you to post some pictures of the alignment problems. Alot easier than trying to visualize whats going on.

thanks

Dan
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

Pictures would definately help here... I am trying to invision what you mean... is it not uniform to it's alignment?
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Junior SCH Member
    The blower is 'cocked'. with no shims, it sits both behind the crank pulley, and tilted inwards (towards the crank) and back.

side view............blower /

.......................crank pulley ]

top view.........crank pulley ]

...............................blower pulley /

Its not in the same plane as the crank, its tilted back and in. And its also behind. Its hard to take a pic of, I have tried before. But laying a metal yard stick across the pullies allows me to see that it is out of alingment. Because the washers are thick relitive to the amout that the alignment is off, I can only get it close by using a strait edge and washers. With the indicator and arbor shims, I hope to be able to get the blower in the exact same plane as the crank.

This has been a problem since day one with this blower, and I am on my third bracket, and second set of cylinder heads, so its probably built into the blower itself, with the case/blower snout not being perfectly perpendicular. Add in the 18" or so from the crank to the blower, and the angles become more excessive.

Whem I get the indicator in, I'll borrow a digital camera and take some pics that show how much its out, and hom much shimming is needed to bring it in line.

lol, I like the pictures! That's great. Funny enough I can understand your alignment issue now!
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Okay... so can't you just shim the brackets to make it align right?
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Junior SCH Member
    my little diagram sucks, can't make it post the same as when I type it in preview.

but anyways yes, it needs shimming between the brackets to move the blower foward, and at the blower to minimize the tilt.

I can get it close, and with a 3.05 pulley, the belts last. with a 2.75, the alignment seems to be more critical, and the belts start fraying and eventualy get tossed.

I'm also looking for another 8 rib pulley to add a second ideler pulley. I want to use it to increase belt wrap, like the system used on some sn-95 apllications.

Any way you can get a pic... even if you can't accurately show alignment? Just of the blower on the bracket, or with the flat edge across the two pullies with a buddy holding it to show how it is off... just some ideas. I kind of understand by your diagram, but pictures would definately help.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Junior SCH Member
    I'll have to see if I can't get a hold of a digital cam for a few days.

With no shims, the blower is actually less tilted back than the stock pullies (its closer to plumb) and if checked horizantaly, the drivers side of the blower pulley is towards the front of the car, the passenger side is closer to the rear. Thats why I have been saying its tilted, or cocked. If you run a strait edge from the crank just up to but not over the blower pulley, it shows the blower in front of the crank. If you hold the edge on the blower just short of the crank, it points about a 1/4" behind the face of the crank pulley.

It's totaly hosed and has been since day one. I fought with Procharger regularly when it was new and under warranty, and they eventually gave me the D1 style bracket I have now. I have spent rediculous amounts of time trying to shim it, and have thrown MANY belts belts in the 4 years I have owned it.

My block/blower seem to be a special case of extra bad tolerence stack. I think with the arbor shims (much better than washers, they come in assorted thicknesses) and the dial indicator, I will be able to get it perfect with the belt adjusted tight. My goal this year is to use ONLY one belt for the entire season, instead of the one belt per two or three passes I have gotten at times.

Yea, that is a little excessive... try to post some pics later so that we can see what's going on.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Junior SCH Member
    an update. I'm still waiting on the dial indicator, harbor frieght is really slow.

I have spent a lot more time shiming and checking with strait edges, and its really close. the alignment does change when the belt is tensioned, and I have checked all the bolts and retourqued them.

I'm working on the tensioner too (it has also never been lined up right) and caught a damaged bearing before it let go.

I took the pulley off, removed the snap ring, and looked inside. The ideler pulley uses a stacked bearing arrangment. The front bearing has damaged seals, and two of the ball bearings are ground up. the rear bearing seems ok. the seals on the front bearing are too damaged to read the part number, but i'm assuming its the same as the rear.

The rear bearing is marked FAFNIR USA 203 V V.

I'm going to do a search and see if I can get a replacement.

I borrowed a cam, I'll take some pics when I get the indicator, and can show some hard numbers about how far everything is off, and in which direction.