Thread: Tuning questions

Junior SCH Member

Tuning questions

Hey guys,man I love this websight.
    I have some tuning questions for the race track. My setup is a stock '88 shortblock w/ B303 cam, 1.72 rockers, 'P' heads, Explorer intake, MAC longtube headers, X-pipe, Flowmasters, 36lbs. injectors w/ pro-M calibrated 70mm meter, bbk 70mm TB, MSD ignition (6A box, coil, and plugwires), and a P600B w/ 3-core intercooler that's supposed to make 14# of boost.I have a walbro 255 intank pump.I have the timing @ 10 degrees and the fuel pressure @ 40lbs. with the vacuum line off.
    The car runs really good with the exceptions cold idle issues that might be caused by the longtubes.
    1)If I were to run the car at the track with the timing locked (with the spout connector out)what would you recommend for timing?
    I will add a BTM at a later date.
    2)I have an FMU that came with the blower,but I'm not sure of the ratio.It is currently screwed all the way in and it don't seem to be pouring black smoke out of the pipes when I get on it.
    What do you recommend for the fuel pressure?The pressure spikes to around 60lbs. at full throttle at 8lbs. of boost.
    '88 Dominator GT
    "P"heads,Explorer intake,36#injectors,1.72rockers,B303cam,X-pipe,flowmasters,4.10's,P600B w/ 14# boost

Senior SCH Member
    With 36 pound injectors and a good tune you shouldn't need the FMU, but you will have to have it dyno tuned to verify a safe AFR. If you don't have a way to decrease timing under boost I would say start at 8 degrees base and try bumping it to 10 but listen for detonation. With the intercooler you should be able to run stock timing (10 degrees) with no problems as long as you keep 92-93 octane in it.
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......