Thread: Guys, learn me about aod's

Guys, learn me about aod's

My new car has an aod. Some sort of lentech internals and a 2000-2400 stall or so. I believe it's a lock up. Tell me, do you guy's shift your aod when driving for performance, or do you let it shift it's self. Seems to me that this thing shifts to early, but If I shift it there is a delay before it changes. Teach me about these things. I've always been a 5-speed guy.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Does it have a Lentech VB? Can you hold out OD with a switch?

Ian

Nope, not that I know of.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

OK well if you are going to push the car at all, or install the blower over, I would get a Lentech VB for sure. It will add years to the life of your AOD if you are going to push it...

Does it have a trans cooler?

Ian

It does have some sort of aftermarket transcolor. The guy I bought it from claimed that it had some sort of lentech internals.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Junior SCH Member
    I thought all the Lentech street VBs had OD lockout. It may be there, and you just don't know it. Contact the dude and get some more info.
    Click here to see my Notch

Engine mods:
    Paxton Supercharger, TFS Twisted Wedge heads, 75 h.p. NOS, Typhoon intake, 80mm ProM, 30# injectors, Aeromotive fuel rails and FPR, Anderson PowerPipe, Edelbrock 70mm T/B and EGR spacer, BBK 255 lph in-tank pump, MSD 6A, Billet distributor, Blaster coil and BTM, Fluidyne radiator, Stewart water pump, FMS Police Interceptor fan and clutch, BBK Ceramic shorties with Stage 8 locks, Catco high-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back.
    Chassis:
    FMS front lower control arms, BBK upper and lower rear control arms, BBK progressive rate lowering springs , BBK subs, Steeda G-trac bar, Kenne Brown strut tower brace, Steeda caster/camber plates, AFS Cobra wheels, Koni 5 way adjustable Reds, SSBC rear disc brake conversion, FMS 73mm front disc upgrade, Maximum Motorsport stainless brake lines.
    Drivetrain:
    FMS 3.73 gear, TA rearend girdle, FMS aluminum driveshaft, Lentech Street Terminator valvebody, B&M Hammer shifter, Trick Flow high capacity aluminum AOD pan.
    Interior/Exterior:
    Cervini Mach 1 hood, Saleen body kit and rear wing, Cobra grille insert, Cerullo seats.

I maybe it's not a lentech, cuase I sure can't find a switch. I'll get in touch with him.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Also ask him about Lentech internals. Lentech does not sell parts out of the trans seperate...

Ian

They do sale input shafts and what not though correct? I will more then likly just buy a street terminator v/b and buy another aod and have it rebuilt locally with hardend input shaft, and then buy a new stall and reuse the v/b I buy from lentech.

What would be the correct procedure for shifting a stock, or near stock aod.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

I am not 100% sure if they sell the shafts seperate, I will ask tomorrow (I am working part time for them)

For shifting, leave it in D and be sure not to floor it in OD.

Ian

what are the reprocusions of flooring it in od? When I'm at the track I shouldn't sift the thing manualy? I've heard that you can do as follows.

start in 1st, shift it to D when you want to shift, after the shift is complete, shift back to 1. When your ready for 3rd shift back to D.

Is this good or bad?

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Junior SCH Member
    Very bad. The old 1-2-1 shuffle will spell certain death for your AOD in no time.