Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Novi2K for a Big Block Chevy, looking for brackets
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novi2K for a Big Block Chevy, looking for brackets

Junior SCH Member

Novi2K for a Big Block Chevy, looking for brackets

Hopefully someone out there can help me.Im looking to put a N2K on a 509 ci chevy motor. Looking for someone who has or know of someone who makes brackets. Paxton doesnt.

Cosmo I'm no expert on the 2K but I'm not sure it can move enough air to feed a 509.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with some better info.
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

Cosmo,
    There is a guy I was talking to at the track a couple of weeks ago that has a Novi 2000 on a 502 in a 70 chevelle. I asked him where he got the kit. He told me he bought the head unit from Paxton. He designed the brackets and had them cut in S.D.. I am sure that if you buy a head unit, one of us can trace out our brackets(maybe Hawk, he just got his kit) and fax them 2 you. That way you have a template to start from. The guy I was talking to told me he was making 9 pounds of boost with a 3.25 8 rib and a 8 inch blower pulley. He also told me held ASP made the pulleys. Hope this helps a little.
    Doug
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Junior SCH Member
    well, i have a new problem...a freind told me that if the unit has one oil feed that its an outdated unit and weaker than the new ones. Have you guys heard of that?

Originally posted by cosmo
    well, i have a new problem...a freind told me that if the unit has one oil feed that its an outdated unit and weaker than the new ones. Have you guys heard of that?
    HMMMMM!!!! I only have 1 oil feed. I've never heard of any blower having more the 1 one oil feed line. No offense, but does your friend even own a blower or ever owned one? I would suggest you call Paxton and ask them.
    Doug

Junior SCH Member
    Yeah, he's the local Turbo-Blower expert in my area. He's a master at fabrication and engineering fuel injection and centrifugal blower systems. Ive seen his work around the area for years and asked him for advice on my project. He works at the speed shop I deal with and he took the numbers down to call Paxton tomorrow. I tried several times to get through to Paxton and couldnt. He has a back door number since he is a big wholesale distributor of speed parts for Florida so he probably in with one of the wholesale guys.
    He claims that the problem is that this unit is non rebuildable and weaker than the new ones. He told me of a incident when he sent one with one oil line back to Paxton for rebuild and they told him that it was not rebuildable because of the outdated bearing size used and the inadequate oiling . Paxton supposedly said that they couldnt update the unit, it would have to be replaced.
    So thats why im asking you guys to see what your experiences are with the one oil line N2K. If you look at the pictures on Paxtons website you can just barely see the second oil line peeking out at the 2:00 position.

Cosmo,
    I just went to Paxton's website. I believe you are looking at the oil return line(the one that drains the oil to the oil pan). I know from first hand knowledge that these can and do get rebuilt all of the time by Paxton. I had mine rebuilt after it ingested a hose clamp. My Novi 2K is 2 years old and it has only 1 oil feed line. Post this question on the Novi 2000 forum and I guarantee somone can take pictures for you. I am not sure I wouldn't make a couple of phone calls myself to find out. It sounds like your turbo/blower guy is feeding you a line of BS.
    Doug
    click belowhttp://www.novipower.com/photopost/s...papass=&sort=1

Junior SCH Member
    Doug,
    Thats what I love about the invention of the internet...you can get input from people all around the country about projects and combinations and form accurate decisions based on other peoples experiences. I believe you and think that maybe there could have been more damage to the unit that he sent back than what he told me or even known about. But I have to point out that if you look at the Novi 2000 picture on the Paxton website it does have 2 oil feed lines ( one at like 10:00 and the other at 2:00....using the Novi ID badge as the 12:00 reference point ) and one bigger oil return line out the bottom at say 5:00. The oil feed line at 2:00 is barely visible in the web picture...what I see is just the end of the green cap-plug sticking out. Now I looked at my unit and its got the oil feed line at the 2:00 position and the return at 6:00. So the difference between my unit and the picture on Paxton's website is either they relocated the oil feed line to the 10:00 position or added it as a second in that location just like my Turbo guy was telling me. But wait, theres more....the link that you sent me with the Paxton assy pics doesnt even have an oil line at the 2:00 position......but the photo at the end of the post which has a unit mounted on a car does have a 2:00 oil feed line. So if I havent confused you by my blabbing, Im wondering if the newer units have the oil feed line relocated to the 10:00 position and maybe they did it for a reason??? I will post the question on the other thread and see what they say. Thanks!! Cosmo

Originally posted by 468LC
    Cosmo I'm no expert on the 2K but I'm not sure it can move enough air to feed a 509.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with some better info.
    For starters, a Novi 2K can move more than enough air to feed a 502. These things can easily put out 1700 cfm of air, 27 lbs of boost and feed 1000hp.

To answer the oil feed theory. I've been following the Novi 2K since it was released back in 95 and to the best of my knowledge it has never been shipped with dual oilers. However, if you look close enough at enough pictures, you can see it has 3 other holes that have plugs in them for a total of five holes.

Let's say the Novi tag is 12 o' clock. At nine and 3 o'clock there is an oil feed and a plugged hole that could also be an oil feed. Going by my pic in the Photopost:

You can see the drain at 6 o'clock and 2 more plugged holes at 7 and 5 o'clock. I've never seen a Novi hooked up with dual oilers, but I guess you could if you wanted to. As far as I know the Novi hasn't changed a bit in terms of it's components over the years with maybe some tweeking of the impeller so I don't know where your friend gets his info from. The Novi when installed and spun within it's limits is about the most reliable centrifugal supercharger available. You just don't see or here people complain about the reliability of this design and with the amount of them roaming the streets and the size of the internet, thats quite an accomplishment.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks Hawk...appreciate the input.

But Im still confused why the Paxton website pic shows an oil feed line at the 10:00 position. So far mine and all others ive seen has it at the 2:00 position. Where is yours at?

I haven't gotten my kit just yet (in transit as we speak, but the oiler will be in the 2 o'clock position as you call it just like all the Mustang 5.0 kits are with the exception of the Renegade kit which is a driver side mount. This pic I fudged should help.

Junior SCH Member
    OK..that explains it. They added a second oil feed location for different mounting locations ( drs side or pass side ). So that doesnt mean that its a bad unit. I will take your advice and run with it. I have started to gather parts and getting excited about putting it all together. Hopefully by X-mas I can burn some rubber. The major things im lacking ( other than making brackets) is a blow off valve, some tubing to make the pipes and a 10 rib blower pulley. Pipes wont be a problem and I saw that link to the rubber parts website and can get rubber from them. The 10 rib pulley...looking for 3- 3.5 inch used. Anyone got one??

Junior SCH Member
    BINGO...now im starting to figure it out. The guy probably had the unit mounted so the feed line wasnt shooting oil downwards. If the head unit was upside down in some sort of special application with oil feeding into the bottom shooting up, that in turn could have caused oiling issues and fried the unit and made it unrebuildable. My friend wasnt the one who installed this system...he was asked to fix it when it was broke. I think he overlooked this possibility as some of the grunt work like pulling vehicles apart were done by hired help he has. The grunts most likely pulled the blower off not realizing where the oil lines should be located, they shipped it back to Paxton for repair and received a call back from Paxton saying that its BLOWN UP and beyond repair and you need the new unit with the new handy dandy oil feed on either side of the blower.

Man am I glad we have Hawk floatin' around in here. I can explain all of this stuff, but I have no idea how you do all of that stuff with the pics . Anyways, I hope I wasn't to rough on ya cosmo. As far as the 10 rib pulleys go. I am sure I have a 3.5 pulley in the garage someplace. I'll look in the morning and let you know tomorrow.
    Doug

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks Doug...and you too Hawk!!!