Thread: Anyone with a P1SC Non-Intercooled FOX? Please help me out real quick...

Anyone with a P1SC Non-Intercooled FOX? Please help me out real quick...

Okay... project WA2FAST is coming along really nicely as of now. I have the wires re-routed (chasis harness, computer harness, headlight harness) on the drivers side (I did passengers side last yeat) along with the battery move, and all of that good stuff. I have the main bracket and tensioner on... my problem is this... when I am mounting the blower with the blower bracket onto the main bracket, the top right bolt will not work because the discharge of the volute is RIGHT there... there is less than an inch between the discharge and the main bracket, not enough for the nut, bot, and brace at all... even the bolt alone won't clear it. I bought the kit used and when I saw the pic's of the guys car with it installed, I noticed that he just didn't install that bolt... seems like I'm asking for a thrown belt if I do that (from flex).

I was thinking about re-clocking the volute slightly to give me some clearance, but wondered if anyone else had this poblem and what they ended up doing. I don't have a digicam, but can maybe get one for a few shots. In the meantime, I will try to dig up a pic of the other guys setup to show you what I mean... it's plain as day.

Thanx guys!
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Okay... here is the pic of the blower on the previous owner's car... you can see that he didn't install that bolt and the reason why is now clear to me... there is less than an inch clearance on the other side of that main bracket.

http://wa2fast.corral.net/images/p1s...evious_car.jpg

In this pic, you can see what NEEDS to be there (brace and that nut) but the difference is that this guys setup is intercooled, so the discharge of the volute is clocked downwards leaving all the space in the world.

http://wa2fast.corral.net/images/p1sc_1_sm.jpg

So now you see my dilema... what to do?
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    Can't you just loosen the volute and move it out of the way enough to put the bolt back in and then clock the volute where you need it? I can't look at your pics cause my damn PC is being stupid, but I thought I'd make the suggestion....
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

LONG post... sorry guys

Okay, spent about 4 hours on it last night, good god what a pain in the you-know-what. To answer your question, yes, I can re-clock the volute, and I did, only problem is when I go up to clear it, the hood won't clear... too low and I don't have a chance, especially with the brackets. This is the "story" about yesterdays work.

I realized shortly after mounting the blower bracket to the main bracket that the damn blower pulley wouldn't fit through the blower bracket, so I needed to take it all aparat again, mount the blower to the bracket, then re-mount the blower bracket w/blower to the main one. Once I did that, all was well and I bolted it up. Next problem was that the discharge on the volute hit the hood when you shut it... so I needed to re-angle the volute, but then the bolt was going to be an issue again. So I had to make a compromise, got it all to fit, then realized that the alignment of the pulleys was WAY off... a good quarter of an inch (exactly two thick ATI washers difference). I had to pull it all off again and shim the brackets to have the blower pulley aligned with the crank pulley. Once I did this, I realized that there was no way I was getting that nut on the back side of the top right bolt with the brace through it, it made matters even worse... pulled the blower even closer to the main bracket!

So after screwing around with anything, I came up with this to get the puzzle together... I had to losen the blower bolts on the blower bracket all of the way, install the rubber hose on the discharge of the volute w/clamp, install one of the bolts through the top right part (the PITA bolt) of the bracket from the back forward for bolt head clearance. Put the spacer and two washers over it, then the blower bracket, then a nut. Once that was in, I was able to get the rest of the bracket bolts through. I cranked down the first one.. that was a total pain, then all of the rest... after that, I cranked down the blower bolts and wala... all done. Now I have minimal clearance, but do have clearance and the ammount that the bolt is pressing in the rubber discharge tube does not interfear with flow (judging by the fact that it doesn't push it in any further than the thickness of the volute on the discharge.

Anyway, I am goign to shut up now and show pics of my lovely 4 hours of work progress. Now all I need to figure out is how the hell to cut out the metal to fit the AFM Power Pipe through.

Easiest way, just go to my site and look at Photo Page 3. I took a bunch of pic's that will explain what I am trying to say. Photo Page 2 has the pics of the blower on the previous car... the links from the above post.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    Great man, glad you got it to fit, you have waaaaaay more patience then I do! I'm sure more then a few knuckles were busted and beers were drank for that one!
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

I don't have any patience... that is the funny thing, but I kinda' don't have a choice... I have changed my car SO much with this project that I need to make sure that ALL of my bases are covered and EVERYTHNIG is done right so that if something goes wrong, I will be able to troubleshoot it and not know that it was because of a half *** attempt the first time around.

The brackets took long enough themselves... I had to bend and manipulate the tabs on either end to get them to line up (the best that I could), and I had to drill a new hole in one of the tabs to be able to get the bolt through it... brackets are SOLID now though, let me tell you.

The rediculous part is how much this kit upsets my car... just amazes me that it was so incredibly off as far as alignment goes, you can see in one of the pics how much I had to shim the bracket out. That seems a bit much if you ask me. Also, how the HELL am I supposed to get the tubing to the t-body!!!??? My welder is going to kill me ;) But really... the major hard parts are done, moving battery, hiding wires, getting my factory brackets back on, then getting the ATI brackets on, lined up, braced, and installed.

Now what's left is I need to cut out the hole to fit the AFM Power Pipe through (however the hell I am ever going to do that), finish the wiring on the other side (waiting to see where the power pipe will end before I tie everything else up), mount and run the relay for the fan, run wires for that, ground the block and harnesses, somehow fit the radiator w/fan back in, and somehow fit the inner fender back in on the drivers side without distroying the fender and the paint. I definately have my work cut out for me, thats for sure. The main parts are done, the rest is just tedious and time consuming.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

SCH Member
    Hey, at least you can take the photoshopped installed ATI on your car, lol. Glad you got things sorted out. I went through something similiar with my vortech setup with no a/c or p/s. I just kept throwing belts due to a misalignement and also the belt would always slip.