Thread: timing and power

Junior SCH Member

timing and power

I have a 2001 GT vert with an automatic. I just installed a P1-SC with 10 pound pulley. I have no other mods. I was at the tuners last week and he was only able to advance the timing to 15 degrees. I am running 93 octane fuel. The timing seemed tame but when he advanced any more it would detonate. My max horsepower at the wheels was 360 and 375 for torque with a nice broad torque curve. Is that good for my car? It seems everyone else is getting 400 hp with there set up. I am getting 10-11 pounds of boost. The car has 20,000 miles on it and I am really happy with the performance. But I am 50 hp low. Thanks for the help. :)

Junior SCH Member
    With 10psi of boost on an other wise stock car we usually see around 380-390 with a 5 speed car and 370-380 with an auto. I believe that the stock ATI chip runs right around 17 or 18 degerees on the top end.

Chris

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks Chris, then I am close to getting the right amount of power. Anybody have any suggestions on which modification would help bring the horsepower up. Maybe exhaust next? I do have a pro-M MAF but stock throttle body. Also, I have a throttle body spacer sitting in the garage but I don't think that would do anything.

Senior SCH Member

Re: timing and power

Originally posted by Luebben
    I have a 2001 GT vert with an automatic. I just installed a P1-SC with 10 pound pulley. I have no other mods. I was at the tuners last week and he was only able to advance the timing to 15 degrees. I am running 93 octane fuel. The timing seemed tame but when he advanced any more it would detonate. My max horsepower at the wheels was 360 and 375 for torque with a nice broad torque curve. Is that good for my car? It seems everyone else is getting 400 hp with there set up. I am getting 10-11 pounds of boost. The car has 20,000 miles on it and I am really happy with the performance. But I am 50 hp low. Thanks for the help. :)

What kind of fuel system, pumps/injectors do you have?
    Whats your a/f ratio

Dan
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

I can't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head right now, but when we changed out the t-body (70mm), meter (Univer), #42's and ditched the FMU, we went up quite a bit on power... I will see if I can find the dyno sheet, it was quite impressive though for a 96'.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Senior SCH Member
    Anytime I ever see the a seen a 1999 or newer mustang put close to 400 down. It always had bigger injectors, mass air meter and exhaust.
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

Exactly. It was especially suprising for the 96' pick so much up because the heads are no where near the PI heads.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Junior SCH Member
    I have the chicane pump and 42 pound injectors. We set my air/fuel ratio at 11.5 to 12. It never gets leaner than 12:1. I believe my MAF is 80 mm but I have a stock throttle body. I don't know what size stock is. I just took the car out to see what boost level I am running and I have 5 lbs at 3500 rpm and it goes up to 12 lbs at 6000 rpm. Looking at the dyno sheet my horsepower stays above 350 between 5100 -6200 rpm. My torque stays above 350 between 3500-5200 rpm. Thanks, John

That's about right... you're really not down on power like you think you are. I am not sure what your exhaust situation is, but I would put full exhaust on it (prefreibly long tube headers) and a t-body on it... you will see some gains. Long tubes are going to give you more torque and more power overall throughout the power band. You will need to get the car on a dyno if you do that, which is a good idea anyway if you already haven't... that will scrounge up your lost power for sure.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Junior SCH Member
    Well I just went drag racing yesterday and my car is putting out more power that the dyno showed. I weighed in at 3655 pounds and ran a 12.72 at 111 mph. Convertible, that why it weighs more. If you look at the mph only that equates to 390 rear wheel horsepower. I still have the stock everything. Automatic and stock gears and original tires. My 60 foot time was 2.08. I think an off road x-pipe and some 3.73 gears are in my future. I out ran everyone else but I had the only supercharged stang there. Everyone wanted to look at what I did to the engine!!!:D :D :D

Junior SCH Member
    How loud is the p1-sc compared to the others?

Junior SCH Member
    I don't know about the others but it whistles at idle and you can hear the gear whine up to about 2000 rpm. Then all you hear is the rush of air going in. Kind of like a jet engine.:D

Junior SCH Member
    Im thinking about this blower,are you pretty happy with it right now?You must turn heads with that whistle?Who did the install and is it easy to do?How good are the instructions
    ?

Junior SCH Member
    I am extremely happy with the blower. I did the install myself and it took me about 16 hours. That was installing 3 gauges, gauge pod, in tank fuel pump, supercharger and intercooler, injectors, and plugs. Also had to make a custom power steering cooler and I installed a shift kit in the tranny. Automatic.. The instructions are O.K. Not great but you can figure it out if you are mechanically inclined.