Thread: Going with slightly smaller pulley - need new chip burned?

Going with slightly smaller pulley - need new chip burned?

I'm gonna post this here and the D-1 area. I have the D1-SC and the motor is the stock cobra except for pro-m mass air meter, 42lb injectors, offroad exhuast, ati adjustable fmu and shorty headers. I have a mail order jms chip set-up for my current boost level. I'm running a 3.55" pulley and seeing 10lbs of boost. I'm going with a 3.35" pulley. I'm running a fairly safe tune. Do I need a new chip? Can I give it more fuel with the fmu and maybe retard the timing to avoid detonation? Thanks guys.

Brian
    '94 Cobra, Procharged 10psi, otherwise mostly stock - 400rwhp 412tq

Now more boost and more horses

Best e.t. - don't ask
    Best trap - 119.3

New 347 combo coming soon - shooting for daily driving 600rwhp

SCH Member
    When you got your tune was your meter maxing out?

It never hurts to put the car on a wideband right after a mod like that. It is peace of mind.

Originally posted by Four eyed stang
    When you got your tune was your meter maxing out?

It never hurts to put the car on a wideband right after a mod like that. It is peace of mind.
    I don't know if the meter was maxing out. How do you tell? I probably should be safe and check the a/f ratio right after the mod but I'm running it at a new track and would like to see 120mph traps. Right now my best trap has been 114, so maybe 120 is unlikely with only a couple more pounds of boost but at least 118mph. Maybe I should wait on the pulley swap until I can check the a/f ratio. Thanks for the reply.

Brian
    '94 Cobra, Procharged 10psi, otherwise mostly stock - 400rwhp 412tq

Now more boost and more horses

Best e.t. - don't ask
    Best trap - 119.3

New 347 combo coming soon - shooting for daily driving 600rwhp

Senior SCH Member
    Originally posted by Z's Cobra
    I don't know if the meter was maxing out. How do you tell? I probably should be safe and check the a/f ratio right after the mod but I'm running it at a new track and would like to see 120mph traps. Right now my best trap has been 114, so maybe 120 is unlikely with only a couple more pounds of boost but at least 118mph. Maybe I should wait on the pulley swap until I can check the a/f ratio. Thanks for the reply.

Brian
    Brian,
    see my post in the d1 forum.
    If your making 10#s now, then I would say with 13-14#s you should see 117-118mph.
    I went 119 on 10#'s, and 123 on 13#'s.

Later
    Dan
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

Senior SCH Member
    I would definitley have your car hooked to a wideband just for the peace of mind, to know that its safe. I would say that with an FMU and 42's you should be fine, but I have learned not to assume...we both know what happens when you do that!
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

Any time you ADD more boost to your combo, it is best to put it on a dyno with a wideband and do a re-tune. You are gambling if you just throw more boost on and go. I would play it safe and possibly save yourself a few grand.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net