Thread: Rattling sound from the blower at idle?

Junior SCH Member

Rattling sound from the blower at idle?

I've got an issue..... I completed the install and fired her up, when the car is at idle, i get a loud metallic rattling sound that feels like it is in the blower. When I rev the car, it quiets down and I get the typical supercharger whistle..... Anyone got a theory on this one?

If it sounds like small hammers striking in succession then that's normal. I thought something was wrong with my D1-SC because of the noise but it turned out to be normal.
    '94 Cobra, Procharged 10psi, otherwise mostly stock - 400rwhp 412tq

Now more boost and more horses

Best e.t. - don't ask
    Best trap - 119.3

New 347 combo coming soon - shooting for daily driving 600rwhp

Junior SCH Member
    I don't have a rattle in mine. P1-SC.

I think what you are speaking of is just the gears meshing together. Your car doesn't idle perfectly even though it sounds like it does and any variance in idle makes the blower whine sound like it's chomping somethign in the gears usualy... that's just the way that they sound. If you are worried about it, call up ATI, get one of their tech's on the phone and start your car for him... they should be able to tell you weather that is normal or not.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Senior SCH Member
    Mine did the same thing and it worried me too, but after hearing a few Vortechs and other ATI's I realized it is totally normal. It's just the straight cut gears and bearings in there rattleing a little. After awhile it seems like you barely notice it anymore..
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

Junior SCH Member
    mine rattles a bit nothing to worry about you still be eating chevys all day
    02' GT :ps-1c 8lb, 42lb inj, 80 pro-m,70mm throttle body, 3:73 gears, plentum spacer, timming advancer, aluminum drive shaft, off-road H pipe

Junior SCH Member
    I had the same problem w/the 4# pulley that I started out with...then pullied up to a 10# and a lot of it went away. Don't worry, just lean on the gas and listen for tires grabbing the road
    DarkblueTA

ATI Procharger, Pacesetter LT/ORY, Dynomax Bullet Catback, Torque Arm poly bushing, LCAs/STB, Spec stage 3 and B&M Ripper.

Soon
    36# injectors and programming
    SLP Level 1 w/rear sway

Senior SCH Member
    I would double check it now though, mine did that too and after 8 short months by ATI blew up !! It was a bearing in there all along that I was hearing and it finally siezed totally and destroyed the blower...
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

Junior SCH Member
    Mine makes a loud clanking noise at idle but only in the morning. Once it warms up for a few minutes it goes away. This can't be normal. It's sounds almost like there is something in there banging around. I thought that maybe it was because my driveway is a very steep slope and the oil is running to the back of the blower. Could that be it? I will have to try to park in the street and see, but I don't think this is it. What do the bearings sound like when they go?
    00 GT 5spd: 4.10 gears, 10#'s from the P1SC, 90MM MAF, 42# injectors, MAC cat back, Diablo Delta flip chip, Pro-5.0, King Cobra clutch, more to come...

Junior SCH Member
    Lilwhistle. Mine does the same thing, it just started. I don't drive the car much so I was thinking maybe it took the oil a minute to warm up and lubricated things up. It didn't do it before though. I was thinking maybe bearings also. Lets hope not. I don't have more than 3,000 miles on mine. Let me know if you find something out. Thanks.

Junior SCH Member
    You guys are scaring me with all these rattling blowers! lil whistle REALLY scares me with that blown seal, and crappy customer service he recieved! I just bought a P1SC 2 core kit for my '91 mustang, Havent put any of it on yet, but im just praying i dont run into the same problems that you guys have! this thing is my daily driver! :(
    91 el-ex

Senior SCH Member
    I had a noise like that an then my blowers transmission took a crap.
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

Junior SCH Member
    Well I found that the clank noise was comming from the idler pulley rubbing on the main bracket. The original spacer was not correct so I used a bunch of washers to space it out. I must have been a few short. However, the seal leak is rediculous. A company like ProCharger that sells an item for over $3000 and knows that the product has an inherant, specific problem but yet still wants to charge their "loyal" customers $300-$500 for repair, is in my oppinion a disgrace. It's obviouse that we are all pretty loyal customers and that we would all in most cases say that we are happy with our decision to go with the ATI over the other 2 or 3 very competent companies. The reason I say that is because we are all members on this site. Why would we build a site to represent our power adder unless we liked it?
    I don't know maybe I'm rambeling now, but I'll tell you this, I am very VERY close to trading in my Member ID here, for one over at NOVIPOWER.com if you know what I mean.
    It really is a shame too because I was ready to buy a brand new D1 in the next few weeks for my race car. I don't think that is going to happen anymore :(
    Sorry if I upset any of you guys, I'm just really burned up over this piss poor customer service.
    00 GT 5spd: 4.10 gears, 10#'s from the P1SC, 90MM MAF, 42# injectors, MAC cat back, Diablo Delta flip chip, Pro-5.0, King Cobra clutch, more to come...

Junior SCH Member
    I can surely understand what you are saying, whistle. your issues have really opened my eyes now too.. I heard alot of good things about the procharger, and thats why i went with the P1SC over the Vortech or paxton offerings, but it was a tough decision for me to make. Now im starting to wonder if i wouldnt have been better off going with a tried and true vortech unit or something? Its too late now, unless i really get some convincing info to swap it out for a different blower, as even the box it was shipped in doesnt have the seal broken on it, and it was only delivered a week ago... your experience has really got me thinking though, i must say.. especially since im putting it on my daily driver and i cant afford to put up with too many reliability issues! :(
    91 el-ex

Junior SCH Member
    I'll tell you what, I've already decided to go Vortech. My blower is comming off and the next one I buy will be a Vortech.
    The sad thing for ATI is, I am getting ready to buy 2 more (well now 3) 1 for my wife's car, and one for a project DARE car for my PD. Sucks for ATI because all 3 would have been P1SC's if they would have just helped me out with my own. If they would have showed me some decent customer service, I would have willingly put another $6500+ into there hands. Oh well, live and learn I guess. :(