Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Looking for input on modifying bracket

Thread: Looking for input on modifying bracket

Looking for input on modifying bracket

Ran into a snag with the new motor. I think the block which has been decked a few times in the past and the heads getting milled has caused the alignment of the main bracket to be off. The bolts that mount the bracket to the head are dead on but that last hole at the bottom which bolts to the block just isn't going to go. I don't think the location is different from an a4 compared to a stock block but if anyone has put a passenger mount on an a4 I'd be interested in hearing if you had any problems with alignment. Here are some pics of the problem hole. Also if anyone has suggestions I'm all ears ;)

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    I take it you have loosened the other bolts because the holes usually have enough area to make up for that little of adjustment. I helped a friend who had the same problem and I went over to his house and just backed off the other bolts and it aligned right up. Your very close but if nothing else just make some room on all your holes not just the bottom hole and you will line up.

ya i tried doing that, i tried loosening them as long as i could and pushing the bracket upward. You are looking at the most upward position before i tightened them. Tried also putting the bolt in first on the bottom a few turns but i can't get the other holes lined up even close.

I think the first thing I'll try is just drilling the hole out a lil further up in the boss in the lower one. And later if it still doesn't go, I'll drill out the holes that mount to the head a little further down.

Good luck Hust and make sure to take pics as you go...

Ian

will do, I'll try to take pics as I assemble the brackets, might help people in the future to reference.

Senior SCH Member
    Since I have a 351w, I can't even use that hole. I simply put a nut on the back of that bolt and call it good. :)
    TwEECer & Custom Chip Sales/Tuning - www.v8mustang.com

Ben, so you only use the holes that mount to the head?

Senior SCH Member
    Yup. As well as a every other 351w owner that I know of running a Paxton/Vortech.

SCH Member
    Haha Ben, I "think" I use that hole. Seriously. I'll take a look next time I remember.

We opened the holes up on our end mill at work after I coaxed a buddy here to sneak in my job. Turned out real good. I went to a few shops to see what they wanted to open it up since our machinist was real busy with real jobs and they wanted 100-200 bleh. Went home and walla, all fixed :D

Senior SCH Member
    Since I bought my kit used, could you show a pic of the "smallest spacer" you refer to vs the others? I'm refering to the top of the smog pump eliminator. All of my spacers were the same size.

Thanks!

ya I'll try to get you a pic tonight Ben. That one is pretty bad. There are basically 4 of those spacers that the bolts follows through dividing the very front bracket to the middle bracket. Then there is one that is large and has 2 holes in it for two bolts and a u shaped opening so that you can get a socket on the tensioner screw. Then lastly there is a smaller spacer that is used where the smog pump bolts up to the middle bracket.

This is on one of the older single tensioner kits though, I'm not sure how much they have revised the brackets in recent years. Thought you had an older one also though so it should be the same. Btw on some of those pictures, that is not where some of the bolts go like in the pic with the accessory tensioner those two bolts don't go there.