Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blower pulley swap

Junior SCH Member

blower pulley swap

if I have a stock blower pulley that is a (6 rib,3.33'' pulley) and I want to put on a (6 rib,3.12'' pulley) will I need a new crank pulley.Allso do I need a different belt to fit the new pulleys.Finally will the (6 rib 3.12'' pulley) handle 8,9,or even 10 pounds of boost without slipping.If you have had experience in this area please help me out.

kyle
    91 5.0 lx cam,heads ported and polished,injectors
    crank,pistons,adjustable mass air
    adjustable fuel regulator,cobra manifold,headers,mac off road catback 3'' exhaust,410 gears,nitto drag radials

Hmmm

You will not need a new crank pulley. Do not know if you will need a new belt are not depends on how much adjustment you have with your tensioner. I believe that all belts will slip just a matter of how much.
    393 stroker with YS-trim Vortech :-)

you shouldn't need a new belt.newer vortech idler pulley brackets have an extra hole drilled in them so you can lower the idler pulley's position, therefore taking up the slack in the belt caused by the smaller head unit pulley.at 10 psi belt slippage should not be a concern, (acts like a buffer between hard acceleration and braking) but if you want to get technical figure in about 3-4 percent.
    306 DSS, S-TRIM W/RENEGADE PULLIES, EXTRUDE HONED LOWER GT40, FULLY PORTED AND LOC WIRED GT40 HEADS, PERMANENT 10 INCH SLICKS.

Junior SCH Member
    ok well that works out great because I didn't want to have to go out and buy a whole new set of pulleys just for a new blower pulley.only thing is I now have to go and buy a new set of stock pulleys for the new supercharger pulleys because I have underdrive pulleys on it now.I appreciate the help guys thanks.

kyle
    adjustable fuel regulator,cobra manifold,headers,mac off road catback 3'' exhaust,410 gears,nitto drag radials

You should not have to touch your stock pulleys if you are just changing the SC pulley on the head unit,, Unless Im missing something here,,,, Bee

SCH Member
    Originally posted by bumblebee03
    You should not have to touch your stock pulleys if you are just changing the SC pulley on the head unit,, Unless Im missing something here,,,, Bee
    I'm missing it too.
    93 LX
    R331/AFR 205/Vic 5.0/? psi

i think kyle is talking about the accessory drive pulleys.if you have a underdrive set, vortechs 2 piece crank pulley won't fit inside a small underdriven pulley.also if you have a one piece vortech crank pulley, it may not clear the aftermarket water pump pulley (too big).i had to put back my stock pulleys.other than looking nice, i really don't miss the underdrives.
    306 DSS, S-TRIM W/RENEGADE PULLIES, EXTRUDE HONED LOWER GT40, FULLY PORTED AND LOC WIRED GT40 HEADS, PERMANENT 10 INCH SLICKS.

SCH Member
    I have March pulleys on my car and everything works. Thats one time things worked for me I guess.
    93 LX
    R331/AFR 205/Vic 5.0/? psi

Junior SCH Member
    wohorsy is right on he is exactly right.The whole thing is.The place that im buying the pulley from said that if I got the blower pulley I would have to get the blower pulley set.For reason's being that the (6 rib pulley) is not enough,and that I had to have a new crack pulley because i have underdrive pulleys on.But I can get a set of used stock pulleys for alot cheaper than his whole blower pulley set.So I can just use the tensioners and stock vortech crank pulley.

kyle

I still dont get it,, if he is just swapping the pulley on the head unit,, then why would that affect the setup he currently has with the larger head unit pulley?,,, should be a simple swap,,,, I have a rib 2.62 pulley with a 6 1/2 crank pulley with underdrive for the accessories if your interested,, Bee

Senior SCH Member
    Originally posted by kyle
    wohorsy is right on he is exactly right.The whole thing is.The place that im buying the pulley from said that if I got the blower pulley I would have to get the blower pulley set.For reason's being that the (6 rib pulley) is not enough,and that I had to have a new crack pulley because i have underdrive pulleys on.But I can get a set of used stock pulleys for alot cheaper than his whole blower pulley set.So I can just use the tensioners and stock vortech crank pulley.

kyle
    Ok. Kyle what exactly are you running right now? Have you bought any pullies yet? What did the company say about the blower pulley not being enough? Enough for what? After you answer these questions we'll be able to clearly give you great advice. I just want to get things straight because I'm missing something also

Junior SCH Member
    ok im running underdrive pulleys im not sure exactly what kind they are.they came with the car when I bought it.No I have not bought any pulleys yet.the company said that the underdrive pulleys that I have would not work because they do not have a place for the vortech crank pulley to set on.So I have to get a set of stock pulleys for my car,reason #1 (if I use underdrive water pump pulley the vortech crank pulley will not fit to big,next I need to have a stock crank pulley for the vortech crank pulley to ride on,and finally the company said that if I use a 6 rib pulley that it would slip which I have now been told that I can use the vortech pulley tensioners to tighten up the belt.)
    So that is the reason I wanted to know if I had to buy a whole new blower pulley set.And I wanted to know if I had to change the belt because of the smaller blower pulley.

i can see where all the confusion is.ray95 and bumblebee03, i don't think kyle has the supercharger on his car yet.the company kyle is refering to said the head unit pulley would not be enough to complete the installation because he is still running a normally aspirated engine with no supercharger crank pulley.this question is for forcedpower, what kind of crank pulley are you using.1 or 2 piece?i had the motorsport pulley set and had water pump to 1 piece vortech crank pulley interference.

Junior SCH Member
    I have just a one piece underdrive crank pulley and once again wohorsy is on top of his game.by the way are you a car engineer wohorsy or do you just know alot about superchargers.

Ok,, I did not know he was not already set up with a SC,,, Kyle,, if you want a one piece pulley for your crank that has an underdrive accessory ratio let me know,, I will give you a good deal on the one I have,, with a 2.62 pulley,,, Bee