Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: blower pulley swap

SCH Member
    Originally posted by WOHORSY
    this question is for forcedpower, what kind of crank pulley are you using.1 or 2 piece?i had the motorsport pulley set and had water pump to 1 piece vortech crank pulley interference.
    I have the crank pulley that came with the s-trim 1 piece. I also used an 8" crank pulley, from March and it cleared. The problem I had with that was the belt would hit the water pump pulley. I had plenty of room for the pulleys though.
    93 LX
    R331/AFR 205/Vic 5.0/? psi

no i am not an engineer, but i am an ase master certified technician and i was with ford for about 10 years.i have a 90 lx, so i know the road your going down.if you are planning on getting a base vortech kit (6 psi) you will need the stock crank pulley for the vortech pulley to bolt onto.if you move up to the h.o. vortech kit (8 psi) the crank pulley is a one piece design that bolts to your harmonic damper.if your wondering why vortech did this, the 6 psi crank pulley is 6 inches in diameter.the 8 psi pulley is almost 7 inches.the bigger 7 inch pulley will not fit inside the stock crank pulley so they designed it as a 1 piece.
    306 DSS, S-TRIM W/RENEGADE PULLIES, EXTRUDE HONED LOWER GT40, FULLY PORTED AND LOC WIRED GT40 HEADS, PERMANENT 10 INCH SLICKS.

Originally posted by Forcedpower
    I have the crank pulley that came with the s-trim 1 piece. I also used an 8" crank pulley, from March and it cleared. The problem I had with that was the belt would hit the water pump pulley. I had plenty of room for the pulleys though.
    so you were not able to use your original underdrive crank pulley that came with the alternator and water pump pulley?i also switched to a 8 inch crank pulley but had to get a cobra water pump pulley.the belt rides so close i had to check it with a feeler gauge, about .025"
    306 DSS, S-TRIM W/RENEGADE PULLIES, EXTRUDE HONED LOWER GT40, FULLY PORTED AND LOC WIRED GT40 HEADS, PERMANENT 10 INCH SLICKS.

SCH Member
    I never got the crank pulley. I only got the alt and water pump pulley. Thats when I bought the 8" with underdrive crank, which was a waste of money b/c it killed my car runs much better with the 7". Guess you live and learn.
    93 LX

ok.now everything makes sense.when you say "killed" did you blow a head gasket or do any damage?i switched to a vortech renegade setup because i didn't want to put on a really small head unit pulley, only to have the boost slip slide away.so far everything has worked out.i had the heads o-ringed and switched over to 42 lb injectors over the winter so i can sleep at night..the main reason for switching to a 8" pulley was to bring the boost in sooner without losing pulley surface contact area, because this is still a street driven car.after all, what good is all that boost if it's out of your normally used rpm range.yeah.....sometimes you have to live and learn.

SCH Member
    For some reason I couldn't get my car to run right with the 8" crank pulley. Not real sure what the deal was. So I pulled it of and put my 7" back on.
    93 LX