Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need some quick 2k help....

Junior SCH Member

need some quick 2k help....

Have an 89 GT, 306, with all the go fast goodies...and a 1k blower, stock pulley, and crank pulley, and shooting out 5.5lbs of boost.

I don't want to fiddle around with the 1k anymore. I don't like the 1 piece belt design (I know they have the new ones out), and I don't want to mess with changing pullies since I would have to change some other componets that are not stock to make that work. I also like keeping the blower as efficient as possible, keeping the inlet temps down, since I live in the Southwest....

I'm hitting around 370-375rwhp/tq now, and want to be around 400-425 rwhp.

I'm thinking with the novi 2000 slapped on, I should be around 8lbs, with the restrictor in there, and around my goal for hp.

I tried calling Kelly there at Paxton, but he's been on the phone all day.

Some questions about the the NON TUNED kit. Just need the kit, no fuel items.

1: When does boost begin to build, RPM wise, on this kit? Stock pulley? I use a stage I trick flow cam by the way.

2: Retail price on the non tuned 2k kit?

3: Does the powerpipe that fit the old 1k design use the same powerpipe used for the current 2k kit?

4: What spools up faster, the S-Trim, or Novi 2k with stock pullies?

5: Are there any fitment issues with the current 2k kit, like there were with the 1st generation 1k kits? (geesh, what a nightmare)

6: I'm seeing $2850-$2900 for the novi 2k, non tuned, kit shipped to my door, this is about as good as it gets, right?

Does the Novi 2k have any inherent surging or bucking problems like the 1k? (yes, I know about some of the cures for those)

Thanks guys!
    --------------------------------
    89GT, 306 and all the goodies....

Man tons o questions, let me beat the moderators to the answer on this one :)

1: with the stock 3.5" pully you will start to see boost at somewhere between 2500 to 3000

2: I would look into the novi2k real street kit, you get a bigger discharge, and aluminium 4" inlet elbow and a race bypass. Its still 10 rib and has all the other stuff, you just need to supply power pipe, and air cleaner and own feul stuff. This kit could be had for around 27 to 2850 or so. Try jack at muscle motors.

3:I'm not sure on this one, but would think so. Might depend on what companies pipe your using.

4: It's probably about the same, and remember the 2k is alot bigger then an s-trim. you mentioned you like efficient stuff, and the novi2k is about twice as efficient as the s-trim. If your looking for a vortech, you would have to look at the ys-trim to compare somthing to a novi.

5: Mine went on fine, I bought it last october.

6: Once again, try jack at muscle motors. JD's performance, or maybe even totalperformance.

7: No bucking or surging at all. The bypass would fix this problem on the 1k and it comes standard on the 2k

Welcome to the sight, and keep the questions coming.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Junior SCH Member
    Dang it...I just typed up the reply to this and the browser lost it...ahhh!

:bonk:

Ok, let's try this again....

Brandon, finally got a hold of Kelly at Paxton, he said he was thinking in the ballpark of 2000-and 2500 RPM, but you're vote may be more accurate since I know my novi 1k now doesn't get going until like 3200ish....

When you say the "novi real street kit", are you referring to what they refer to as the "non-tuned" version, the one that does not have any of the fuel component enhancements? Yeah, that one is priced about $400 less than the big novi 2k system. This is the one that I would be interested in. I think it can be had between $2800 and $2900.....

As for vendors. I've had a lot of luck with Dave at JD's and also Tony with Need-4-Speed. And a few others, but I've dealt primarily with these guys for the big ticket items. Dave has given me great pricing and service....and Tony has given me a very honest relationship too...... so I'm grateful for that, given the horror stories out there with some of these companies. As for Jack at MM, hmm. I've seen good and bad. With that in mind, I typically stay away. Thanks for the suggestions.....

With that in mind, I guess the novi will be running so efficiently at the lower boost levels, it will have much lower inlet temps compared to an S trim or Novi 1k being pushed a little harder.

Did you have any fitment issues with your kit? How much clearance do you have between the top of the blower and the hood. I have about 1/4 to 1/8th of an inch in distance......thank goodness for my energy motor mounts!

:D

If I buy a novi 2k, it will be tomorrow. I'm thinking this is the best route to go, other than the S trim.....but I think for the money, the novi 2k has my vote. But it's kewl to notice, the street version of the S trim kit without the fuel components goes for about $2400....makes it pretty attractive...

Can I ask what combination you're running.... and some of your numbers....just curious what your novi 2k is doing for you...

Any regrets?

Oh, does the 2k sound just like the 1k? I sort of wish my 1k was a little louder...it's almost silent.....

Thx!

Well I'll jump in on this one. I had a Novi2K on my little coupe. I had not a single problem with it what so ever. I have owned an S-trim and it doesn't compare to the Novi2K. The 2K isn't very loud. As far as performance goes, here's my dyno sheet from the old combo. Stock cam, stock block 302 with AFR 165's through an AOD. The car ran 10.8@126 on ET streets. I'm not sure of the clearance between the top of the blower and the hood, I have a Cobra R hood on mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

cobra r hood aswell here, so I can't help with that info.

The real street kit, comes with a different inlet elbow, a bigger bypass, and a larger dishcarge tube. Best kit for the money I think. Same setup Ian will be running, and that Kelly has on his car.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Junior SCH Member
    Doug: Some impressive numbers.... what kind of boost were you running then? I'm aiming at mid to high 11's. Nothing more.....otherwise my little T-5z will grenade itself, and we don't want that.... (so maybe 400-425rwhp) your dyno numbers, those are flywheel, right?

UNTC: What you say is very true. I need to call Dave this morning... should I do it??!!! :yep:

Junior SCH Member
    Oh, another thing. How easy will it be to remove the 1st generation 1k kit I have on there now and stick on the 2k kit?

The alternator will be in the same local, right?

Will any of the stock Ford brackets I removed when putting on my 1k be needed at all if I stick on a 2k kit?

don't know about the 1k to 2k, but I would call Dave today. You might have to have him call kelly in order to get the real street kit.

Dougs numbers are rwhp! amazing numbers. My blower made about 13#'s with stock pullies on my stock long block at around 6200 or so.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Look in the photo post at my photos and you can see the realstreet kit, and my setup.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Junior SCH Member
    Impressive!

I will call Dave now. He is unaware of the 1001810-1 kit, which is the street kit, which doesn't have the fuel junk, or filter....

He only knows the pricing on the 1001810 kit, which is the full blown novi 2k.

Junior SCH Member
    Ok, this number, PAX1001810-1, is the non-tuned kit.

But they also have part number, PAX1001824, which is their Renegade kit.

Now, is the 1001810-1 still the one I want to kit, the street kit, or is the Renegade kit their street kit that has the larger bypass and inlet without the fuel components.

Ahh...

Dave is unaware of these item codes, and will be calling Paxton.... but I wanted to clarify on the part numbers...

Thx

Junior SCH Member
    What is included in the complete 2K kit that isn't included in the non tuned kit?

I'm thinking about buying a 2K.

Thanks

Junior SCH Member
    Brian, from what I understand, it's missing the FMU, the intank fuel pump, and the filter I think.....

I believe the standard kit has the regular bosch bypass valve and smaller inlet size to the blower.....

Junior SCH Member
    ever find out about the non tuned kit?

The part number for the real street kit is........... 1001810-R

This kit is totally different then the renegade kit. Renegade kit is a driver side mount unit that wont work with accesories, while the other two are passenger side mounts.
    90 strawberry coupe