Thread: Newbie with questions.....

Junior SCH Member

Newbie with questions.....

OK guys, first time to your site but I am a regular member of DfwStangs.net. I have asked this question on that site but those guys don;t want to talk to me about the 1000. I have a nearly stock motor with the exceptions being equal length headers and advanced timing, K&n filter in stock box without silencer, 3.73 gears and stock AOD. I also have an offroad H pipe and flows over the axle dumps. My question is, can I put on the 1000 and just drive it without having to get a tune? Also I plan to upgrade the fuel pump while I am at it. If I change to a larger pulley size will I have to get a tune? Does the kit come with everything that I will need to install? Does it already have a custom chip with the kit? What about the new N1k kit, doesn't it have the aluminum power pipe instead of the plastic one?

Sorry with all the questions.

In as short of answer as possible NO you can't just put it in and drive away.

I would plan on spending an additional 4 to 500 bucks if you want the car to make good safe power that drives like stock.

Bigger Pump
    Injectors
    MAF
    By pass valve setup
    AFPR

I recommend a setup that will work without an FMU so your drivability will be like stock.

DO some poking around in here there is lots of good reading.

Pleasure to have ya aboard.:)
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

Steve is right if you want a good running reliable blower set up look to spend some extra cash on the items he listed.

I think I was the only person that put the NOVI on without a bypass and didnt have a bucking problem at low speeds.

Funny thing is my bypass took a crap and when I tried to run without it again it would buck and surge at low speeds.

I have fixed the problem by going to the local Saab dealer and picking up a new bypass.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

You could just put it in like that if you wanted, a lot of people do and then just get those extras as money permits, they make the kits complete (everythings there for install), but the stuff listed above does help.

If you upped the boost then you will need or should have the stuff listed above, a tune is a good idea, but I know people that don't have tunes and still run decent.

No the 1000 does not come with chip, yes the new 1k's come with an aluminum discharge tube and 8 rib sc pulleys/belt.
    432 rwhp 404 rwtq.........11.76 @ 120mph on nitto's!!!
    Novi 1000, 8lbs of boost, stock cam, performer intake and heads, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, 1 5/8" long tubes, 3.55's, 555 DR's (dyno'd on mustang dyno)
    Daily Driver
    My idling Novi 1000 vid
    1/4 mile run Sorry it's a little old now
    Club Videos
    Pics&Mods

Junior SCH Member
    thanks for the help. I went back and read some of the older threads. Good reading. Now just gather up the rest of the money that I need and its a new Novi for me.

Come see my other buddies here

Senior SCH Member
    i dont know guys i kind of disagree. on a pretty much stock car i would think the novi1000 would be just fine, i mean thats what its intended for right? especially the newer kit with the bypass included.

ive known a dozen guys who have put a blower on a stock car with an FMU and 19lb injectors and stock mass air meters and have had no problems

Mike the single belt Novi 1k is a haunted beast. My car was mostly stock with some bolt ons when I started and it was simply unacceptable. I know many a vortech guy and others that did that and it worked great but this kit would not drive.

THree key factors
    Bypass
    Fuel injectors and no FMU
    and a discharge tube that didn't leak.

She drove 95% better after that.

I see know reason why the dual belt unit won't behave any different but I may be wrong.:)

FMU surges and constant bucking and surging and an idle that sucked no matter what MAF or clocking.

My point was that you are gonna have to spend a little extra is all.

Originally posted by Mike Gager
    i dont know guys i kind of disagree. on a pretty much stock car i would think the novi1000 would be just fine, i mean thats what its intended for right? especially the newer kit with the bypass included.

ive known a dozen guys who have put a blower on a stock car with an FMU and 19lb injectors and stock mass air meters and have had no problems
    Agreed but those others do help, and the new novi's don't come with a bypass valve, cause I'm getting one together for mine right now.
    432 rwhp 404 rwtq.........11.76 @ 120mph on nitto's!!!
    Novi 1000, 8lbs of boost, stock cam, performer intake and heads, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, 1 5/8" long tubes, 3.55's, 555 DR's (dyno'd on mustang dyno)
    Daily Driver
    My idling Novi 1000 vid
    1/4 mile run Sorry it's a little old now
    Club Videos
    Pics&Mods

Senior SCH Member
    my bad, i thought the new kits had the bypass