Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Mixed responses

Thread: Mixed responses

Banned by Admin

Mixed responses

Okay, I've heard LaRocca gaps the plugs on all blower cars to .20, I don't want to buy any ignition if this will solve my problem. Right now @10psi it blows out the spark, with FMS wires, and blaster coil. I've heard others have no problems with 10psi and stock ignition. Could someone shed some light on pros/cons of .20 gap, because it just doesn't sound right, but if it'll work with no ill affects, I'm willing to do it. Will it affect my custom chip/tune? Thanks guys. -Rob

Junior SCH Member

gaps...

You don't mention what gaps you are running now, but here is what I have had experience with.

Run your gaps at .032. Make sure the plug is the correct heat range and has the correct length where it screws into the head.

I'll be honest in that I have never run a blower without an aftermarket ignition. The Accel is reasonably priced as is the MSD 6AL.

Closing the gaps on your plugs will help (but to .020"?), but an aftermarket ignition is not that expensive andrelatively easy to install.

Later,
    BK Meyers
    Meyers & Meyers Racing
    NMRA Renegade #10

Senior SCH Member
    haven't seen/had any contraindications of running lower gaps...have had to lower gaps to high 20's to prevent miss @ high rpms due to high cyl pressures even w/after mkt ign...most cars that i've dealt w/were ok at around .035...

Banned by Admin
    BK- plugs are 2ranges cooler (NGKs), gapped @ .32-.35
    midnight- no driveabilty probs with that small a gap? This is a daily driver, getting ready to see the strip on weds. nites. Do you guys know if this will affect my chip/tune at all? I don't think so, just want to make sure. Thanks. -Rob

Senior SCH Member
    should not effect your chip...cannot think of any reason why it would.. No drivability probs w/lowered gap...

I think the reason you are getting mixed responses is because every car reacts differently and there is no answer that is set in stone as being correct on this one. Play around and see what your car likes and dislikes...it can't hurt.
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage

Senior SCH Member
    what rdrunner said and i think a aftermarket ignition is always a good investment
    --
    93 GT

Banned by Admin
    Well, I gapped them to .25 today, and ran it and it saw 5500 and 6000 rpm, a couple times on the freeway, so I'm okay with that until I can get the MSD6. Thanks for all the help.

That is a good sign that you saw 6000 rpm today. The reduced gap getting you there also confirms that you do need to upgrade the ignition. MSD 6al's are pretty easy to come by and should do the trick for you. An upgraded coil such as a blaster or crane ps-91 would also help, but just a 6al on it's own out to be the ticket for you..
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage

I wouldn't run a blower set up without an aftermarket high spark ignition! I gap my plugs @ .35 and 2 degrees cooler then stock.
    You Must Be Fast, Cause You Were Flyin When I Passed You!

Banned by Admin
    Picked up a 6AL this morning, so I'll re-gap the plugs to .35. I'm planning on running it wed. nite, any suggestions for me? I'm hella excited/nervous. I want to have fun and be fast, but i'm not looking to be John Force either. I'm gonna put the 6k pill in the MSD, lower my STREET TIRES to 20-25psi and go with a full tank of 91 per Troy. Should I throw a bottle of octane booster in? How should I launch, at what rpm? And I am worried about my T-5. What rpm should I shift at down the track? I'm guessing, now that my ignition is squared away, that the car is putting alittle over 400hp to the wheels, based on the 389@ 5k on the dyno. What do you guys think? PLEASE chime in. Thanks again guys-Rob.

Hmmm

If you are worried about your T-5 just do not powershift it and you should be fine. It never hurts to up your octane. You will have to experiment with you shift points. Good luck at the track.
    393 stroker with YS-trim Vortech :-)