Thread: Update.... With the new Univer.

Senior SCH Member

Update.... With the new Univer.

Ok guys, I just wanted to update all that helped me out. (Dan and Don for the most part) I got the Univer on the car, got the new 42's in and got the FMU off. First off I couldn't believe how lean the Univer was stock from Pro M! I first just reset my EEC and left everything stock and let the meter do the work, started with fresh NGK plugs gapped at .026 and hooked the wideband up. It would not go under a 13.8-14.0 AFR which made it cruise really nice but scary if I saw any boost !

So I just started working on the fuel tables with my tuner and even with a really safe tune (11.0AFR and 23 degrees total) It screams!! My car has never ran this good and I know it has a LOT left in it. At least now I can drive it around safely until I can afford the LaRocca tune. It pulls up to the 6300rpm limiter (MSD) so fast now I can barely catch it. Now I want more boost! (only seeing about 11psi max) I figure the DSS should safely hold 13psi or so. Anyways I'll quit taking space, just wanted to say thanks!:)
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

Senior SCH Member
    Congrats on the new found power!! Glad that the univer could help you out in such a good way. I was thinking of going with one myself, I talked with Mike Plummer about the 75mm bullet that I am using, he feels that I am no where near maxing this thing out, as he made over 540 rwhp on it. I just wonder how much ( if any) I could gain by switching to a univer?
    BTW Once I get these heads back on, I will try to get the car tuned at kauffmans, you along for the ride?

take care
    DAN
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

Senior SCH Member
    Dan, I just tried PM'ing you and your box is full, empty that thing will ya! :)

Senior SCH Member
    Yea, I'd like to ride along, depending on the cash flow at the time I might not be able to get mine tuned though. (just moved into a new Apt.) and that $300 Univer set me back a few... But the car is running now so I'm pretty happy. I'd at least like to check them out though.

Senior SCH Member
    btw, donnie I cleared out my inbox if you want to send me that PM now,,guess I had too much in there.
    later

DAN
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

Junior SCH Member
    So an ATI BT calibrated Univer plus made your car idle and cruise at stoch (~14:1) with 42's and stock pressure?

Give us an update on mpg improvements and drivability.

I'm thinking of selling my optimiser rather than pay to have it calibrated, and buying a Univer now.

Senior SCH Member
    wow maybe thats why my car did not run good when I put that on. thanks for the info.
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

Congrats on your car! I'm glad that I (we) could be of help. I knew that you would like the Univer on your car :) It makes a world of difference in how much easier it is to tune and how. The reason the univer runs so lean durring idle and part throttle is because of how the air is metered... it needs a lot of flow to register correctly and pull out the right a/f ratio... I dont' think the meter was ever really intended as a 'bolt on' with out tuning it despite what they say. The meter is totaly a tuners meter... and will make any tuners life easier on a blown car.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Senior SCH Member
    Ya thats were my car has a problem Idle and part throttle. I was told It was a big cam. but never did it before.
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

Junior SCH Member
    14:1 at idle/cruise is not lean, its what the car attempts to target with the O2 sensors.

If you have a tune thats fat at idle, the EEC will start changing pulse widths and apply the same type of corections at wot. And if it can't make the car run at stoch, it will go into limp mode, and run really rich, and it will also stop advancing the timing.

Senior SCH Member
    I have the EEC Tuner on the car though, so I have cut off the Adaptive strategy so that the eec doesn't try and "tune" around my settings. I have the car cruising pretty rich but it seems to make it more responsive and with the Univer I have been able to idle the car at the stock idle (675rpm) with my F Cam and 1.7rockers! But if you don't have any way of tuning the car then I don't suggest you just bolt the univer on and expect it to be safe... But it does really smooth the car out. My gas MPG sucks! but that is expected with 42's and my lead foot, but the driveability alone made it worth it!
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......