Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
oil pressure

Thread: oil pressure

Junior SCH Member

oil pressure

Just finished my procharger install and have noticed a couple of thing. When we first started it up we werent seeing any oil drain from the oil return line. We started seeing oil after ablout 5 minutes but we werent seeing a nice steady stream of oil coming down the oil retun line. Is this Normal?

Also my oil pressure has starting to worry me now. When i first start it up, say in the morning ol pressure is fine but the longer i driveit the les oil pressure I start to see. It came to a point where I was at a stop light and was seeing about 18psi of oil pressure which is ok, id rather have 20 but when I started accellerating(sp), the oil pressure was barley going over 20psi at liek 45mph in 4th(a4). I think my oil pump is going or I need to switch to a thicker oil?.
    94 Z28
    ATI procharger
    hooker long tubes
    msd digital 6 ignition
    SMC alky injection
    Front mount i/c
    3"y-pipe
    3"cutout
    224/236 cam
    1.6rr

Junior SCH Member
    make sure the return line has a strait a shot as possible to the pan. Mine starts shooting a pencil thick stream almost imediatly on start up. any dips in the return will cause oil to build up in the blower, and could blow a seal.

Oil pressure will drop a little as the oil gets warmer, but you should see at least 10 lbs per 1000 rpm.

Junior SCH Member
    I'll look at the line again an dmake sure theres no kinks, Im also going to try a thicker oil and see if that bumps it up some.
    94 Z28
    ATI procharger
    hooker long tubes
    msd digital 6 ignition
    SMC alky injection
    Front mount i/c
    3"y-pipe
    3"cutout
    224/236 cam
    1.6rr

Senior SCH Member
    How many miles are on your motor? GM's don't carry high oil pressure anyway (not near as high as a Ford) they generally say 7psi per 1000rpm is safe so if you turn it 6k you only need 42psi oil pressure... I personally love HV pumps and I run my small fords at 70-80psi at full tilt (6-6500rpm) and have never had a problem. You can get some good i.e Mobil 1 or Castrol and run the 20w-50 in the summer that will bring your pressure up a good bit.
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by SnakeIs
    How many miles are on your motor? GM's don't carry high oil pressure anyway (not near as high as a Ford) they generally say 7psi per 1000rpm is safe so if you turn it 6k you only need 42psi oil pressure... I personally love HV pumps and I run my small fords at 70-80psi at full tilt (6-6500rpm) and have never had a problem. You can get some good i.e Mobil 1 or Castrol and run the 20w-50 in the summer that will bring your pressure up a good bit.

Actually, from what i hear, its 10psi per 1000 rpms but thats subject for debate. Well I found out a couple of things while I was under the car. I unplugged the oil return line whle the car was on just to make sure the s/c was getting oil. I left it on for about 1 minutes and didnt see anything so i shut it down. So I started to take off the oil sprayer thing from off the s/c. I took it off and it was pretty clogged up full of gunk, so i washed it out made sure I could see through it and started to put it back on. while tightning it back on I kinda over tightned it and it broke
    :o . So I left the s/c unhooked and reroughted the oil lines and proceded to change my oil to 15w50. Once I got all that stuff done I turned the car on and my oil pressure was back :D . So all i need to do now is call up ATI and have them send me a new oil sprayer for the p-600. Well hopefully everythng will go just as well when everything goes back togeather. But the good news is i have oil pressure.:)
    94 Z28
    ATI procharger
    hooker long tubes
    msd digital 6 ignition
    SMC alky injection
    Front mount i/c
    3"y-pipe
    3"cutout
    224/236 cam
    1.6rr

Junior SCH Member
    well, the oil fitting came in today and We put it on. The goos new that the car sustains oil pressure whith the blower hooked up. The bad news is that Im still trying to track down this damn oil leak Im getting. But other than that, everything is ok. Just though I migh tlet you guys know how things were going.:)
    94 Z28
    ATI procharger
    hooker long tubes
    msd digital 6 ignition
    SMC alky injection
    Front mount i/c
    3"y-pipe
    3"cutout
    224/236 cam
    1.6rr

Sounds good. I would assume that you are seeing oil in the return line now? That is too bad about that fitting, but it's good that everything is now working again.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net