Thread: how much power will the gss340 support?

how much power will the gss340 support?

I'm going to maybe use this pump when I swap the blower over to my coupe. Do you think it will support 500rwhp? This would be with either 42 or 50 # injectors and a 306 or so? all stock lines, I may upgrade the rails. I will either use this or the 255lph that is in the car and the t-rex. Isn't the gss340 the pump that jack sales for 119? Thanks in advance guys.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    At stock fuel pressure there's no gain in going from the gss307 to the gss340, both put out 255 lph @ 40psi so save your money.

At stock fuel pressure the Trex (200lph) puts out less than either 255 lph pump, don't bother.

To support a 3500# car going 11.00 at 122 mph, which is roughly 500-520rwhp, you need @ 205 lph of fuel pump, so either of these pumps should handle the duty with room to spare.

42# injectors will support 500-520hp just fine.

The stock '89 fuel rails will not support this power level, you would risk burning pistons due to pressure drop at the rail distribution block -- should switch at least to SN95 rails if not aftermarkets.
    Chris

why do people always say/run a GSS340 + a Trex? are they misinformed and spreading false facts or what?
    93 Cobra - NOVI 1000 new style, Walbro GSS340, 130AMP alt, Griffin radiator, Mercury Sable fan + Delta Controller, Bassani offroad X, Magnaflow with 3" tailpipes, Tokico Illuminas, FRPP driveshaft, 3.55s, Nitto 555s (extremes up front and drags out back), Ultralite boost and EFP gauges

91 bigass Bronco 4X4, to crush ricers with

I'll probably just use the 255 that is suposably in the car now. If I starte seeing a pressure drop, I'll probably do the gss340. You never can be to safe when it comes to feul from what everyones said.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Junior SCH Member
    255 in tank....walbro 255 in line..NO FMU..42s made 474 at the rear

the walbro 255 inline flows more than the t rex and is pretty quiet
    92 GT,Novi 2000,Nitrous Express, AFR 185 Heads ..etc etc

Junior SCH Member
    look at the feed line and that will answer the question. the line size only supports a certian ammount of folw. 340 is a good pump on a f-body (camero) but on a fox body i's a different story.
    87 LX NOVI2K

Originally posted by fullychargedgt
    255 in tank....walbro 255 in line..NO FMU..42s made 474 at the rear

the walbro 255 inline flows more than the t rex and is pretty quiet
    fullychargedgt, were you running a chip with that combo?
    i have the same fuel setup as you except i have yet to put my 42s in, should i just ditch the fmu when i do this?

thanks
    89 GT TFS Heads Systemax Intake
    TFS 2 cam 3:55s Novi 2000 42#ers
    466hp / 409 torque ;)
    10.58 @ 121 mph

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Originally posted by RydeOn
    why do people always say/run a GSS340 + a Trex? are they misinformed and spreading false facts or what?
    The T-rex got popular way back when the biggest intank pump was a 155. They are not misinformed, just behind the times. The Buick guys have been running low 11s on the big intank walbros alone for many years.
    Chris

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by FoMoCo1
    fullychargedgt, were you running a chip with that combo?
    i have the same fuel setup as you except i have yet to put my 42s in, should i just ditch the fmu when i do this?

thanks
    I insalled the blower and went tothe 42s from 30s......I have a vortech super fmu and had it installed but not connected..I ran the car a few times going through the gears at @ 1/2 throttle....it was running rich as the black smoke told me lol. I then took the car to Michigan for a dyno tune/chip. I never needed the fmu and I since have taken it off the car. With th tune the car idled much much better and I got rid of the surgeing issues while cruising at low RPM.
    I would say you are prob safe with no FMU but I would SUGGEST to get it on a wideband dyno and see what is going on. It really is important to have a chip burned or to get a pms or something similar to tune it with so you can take out fuel at certain areas and make the car more drivable. After the tune my car ran sooo much better and it was a blast to have ice cold A/C and nearly 500rwhp
    92 GT,Novi 2000,Nitrous Express, AFR 185 Heads ..etc etc