Thread: Who should I get my short block from?

Junior SCH Member

Who should I get my short block from?

Hey guys im going to get a short block pretty soon the stock has had it, i want to support some good power with my blower pushin 12-14lbs. Ive heard mixed reviews on DSS (the guys i was thinking of getting it from) what do you guys think who is good and who isn't. thanks, Rob.

Well I would stay away from DSS, their rep. sucks! Coast High, Ford Performance Solutions, if you can afford it go with a 4 bolt main block and I would do the new Dart Iron Eagle, you'll never have to buy another block!
    You Must Be Fast, Cause You Were Flyin When I Passed You!

Senior SCH Member
    I would recommend DSS. Their reps are awesome in my opinion. Everytime I call, they are willing to take the time to discuss the motor you want to build. Just my thoughts. If you want top dollar...then I would go with Bennett Racing.

Troy
    1995 Mustang Cobra
    302-10.77 @ 127.76
    new motor being built
    redsnk@yahoo.com

owner/moderator
    http://www.stangtuning.com

Beware

This is a copy of a post I posted to the forums that I am a member of.

Kit and engine buyers beware
    I bought a 393 stroker kit from DSS, crank pistons, rings the whole kit. I upgraded the pistions and rings(the rings were suppose to be ductile iron. I bought canton oil pan from them and Tom seemed very helpful.

Problems:
    1. Being that I am a Toolmaker machinist I checked the upgraded pistons with a micrometer. They varied as much as .004(not good) And to upgrade to these pistons cost me 500.00 bucks. Had to send them back to get pistions that were the same diameter.

2. This one is the one that scares me. I upgrade the rings to ductile iron rings which was an added 75.00 more. I needed the better rings because of the boost I am planning on running(eventually between 20- 24 bls of boost). The rings they sent were cast iron(they would have broke like crackers). The only way I found out was that my engine builder call me at work and ask me to come by. He told me he did not believe they were ductile iron, so I told him to break one. That is one way you can tell for sure. It snap in three places(Sh$t cast iron). I called Tom at DSS he wanted to give me the run around instead of just replacing the rings. Saying the rep would have to credit him first before he could help me. Seems to me if you have drop 2800.00 to DSS why would you quabble over a set of rings.
    So I will replace the rings myself, just to avoid the frustration and move on.

Check your kits guys!

I would not go with DSS. I do not trust them.
    393 stroker with YS-trim Vortech :-)

Banned by Admin
    I remember that post.

Like I said, DSS has the worst reputation out there!!! Like the post above, I have heard it all too many times in too many other threads. They suck, and they won't back their work up!
    You Must Be Fast, Cause You Were Flyin When I Passed You!

Junior SCH Member
    Man that sucks I have heard to much i can't risk it.

I would not.
    393 stroker with YS-trim Vortech :-)

SCH Member
    I got my short block from Keith Craft. I have been very happy with it and the service I got from them.
    93 LX
    R331/AFR 205/Vic 5.0/? psi

Junior SCH Member
    I like how DSS says their stock production blocks can handle 650+hp.....sounds like BS to me.

Junior SCH Member
    I say work buy from whoever is willing to work with you and try to stay local so that if you have a problem you can drive the engine down there instead of the expensive shipping costs. Last summer I tried to buy a shortblock from at least 7-8 different places. I even talked to Livernois and told them "I want to buy it" agree'd to price, the guy there said he'd fax me a sheet over and never did, that was the SECOND time they did something like that. So I said screw them and found a guy willing to work with me. He earned my money. As far as mail order goes, I don't believe I've heard of anything bad from Keith Craft.
    87 Coupe - R-306 , YS-Trimmed, Edelbrock Heads, best ET 9.87@136

94 Lightning, K/B supercharged

Junior SCH Member
    I've been shopping myself for shortblocks and Keith Craft, Coast High Performance, and D&D were very helpful. I got the same run around with Livernois. Afriend of mine recommended Panhandle Performance.
    '88 Dominator GT
    "P"heads,Explorer intake,36#injectors,1.72rockers,B303cam,X-pipe,flowmasters,4.10's,P600B w/ 14# boost

Junior SCH Member
    I bought a DSS 308 which I thought would be a 306. I am not very happy with the quality of the shortblock. I talked to many shops before ordering but setteled on DSS because they said they had them built in stock. I did talk to Panhandle and they seemed to really know what they were talking about. If I were to order another shortblock I would buy it from panhandle. I have also seen some bad reps about keith craft too.
    1992 Coupe 308 tfs tw heads, Holley intake, tfs stage 2 cam,1 5/8 long tubes, bullet 75, 70 T/B, 3.55 and tremec, 30 lb injectors , Hope to get a SC-trim in january looking for best deal now

SCH Member

i gotta a question

Quote Originally Posted by White9T2GT
    I like how DSS says their stock production blocks can handle 650+hp.....sounds like BS to me.
    i just tuned a DSS pro bullet, unported TFS twisted wedge heads, 38lbs inj, adj fmu, novi 2000 10.8lbs of boost, pms, and tremec to 558rwhp on 100 octane gas (4th one of 550rwhp in the last 6 months)... doesnt sound like BS to me...

DSS builds 10x the motors that other engine builders build per yer... that means on a percentage base, they would be able to make 10x the mistakes.. THAT is not the case... they have been building my motors since 1996 and i will continue to use them. If you have a problem with a motor from them, call them... Dont stand behind a computer and bad mouth them.

thanks bob kurgan

Who to buy shortblock from

I did like most, researched, researched and researched some more. Went with CHP for value and performance. Customer service has been absolutely fantastic. Fired up today on the first turn. No leaks, no smoke and smooth as silk. Can't wait to get the break in miles done so we can tune this beast.

Thanks Mark O'Neal and company. Did I mention the Hardcore Mustang Racers Forum discount?
    Wayne
    Rio Red 94 GT :teeth:
    AFM Vortech S-Trim Stg I kit
    some bolt ons

See website for complete mod list: http://groups.msn.com/Waynes94GT/waynes94gt.msnw :drool: