Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What gaskets are you using??

Thread: What gaskets are you using??

Junior SCH Member

What gaskets are you using??

What head gaskets is everyone using??? i just blew mine and wanted everyones opinnions on what gasket worked best for them...i also have afr's...thanks
    raymond

Junior SCH Member
    i have blown several head gaskets in the past and during my recent stroker build, i chose to have the machine shop add the oring set up where the stainless wire is in the block and the reciever groove was cut in the head. i used a .062" SCE copper gasket and hylomar sealant on the gaskets. fired up the engine minus blower and got it to temperature. no leaks. all seems well. bolting on the blower this weekend. should withstand any minor detonation during tuning process and any boost levels this D1 can put out. inmost cases i blew my head gasket in the tuning process and taking it to far to the max.

anyway, chances are that may not be an option at this time since you would have to remove the block etc.. i would recommend the wire ring head gaskets fel pro. need to cut a groove in the head, but they seal pretty nicely and resist detonation more than a standard cardboard gasket. just my opinion.

mike
    www.BoostedHorsepower.com

69 Camaro Z28
    383 D1 Procharger
    Procharger Sheet Metal Intercooler
    750 cfm 4150
    Extreme Velocity Carb Hat
    Trick Flow Aluminum Heads
    Edelbrock Super Victor Intake
    Crower Solid Roller Cam
    X2CMotorsports Tremec TKO TransTKO

Junior SCH Member
    I am using a set of COMETIC's this time around. They were very pricey though worth every penny. I belive I will suffer block failure before these gaskets let go.

I had the stockers holding the countless 550+ HP pulls, then even the 600+ Hp pulls, though when I tore the motor down they were showing signs of getting close to letting go. I had some leaks around the fire rings. :( No good.

If you are going to high HP, and don't want the leaking hassels of the coppers... go with COMETICS!

Just my .02
    EA
    More boost then a 20psi gauge.

Senior SCH Member
    I have had great luck with the Fel Pro 1011-2's. And ARP studs with tighter torque. I had my block split last year and the head gaskets didn't let go... I would have actually rather had the gaskets blow then the #8 cylinder that cracked from top to bottom :(

The FRPP Graphites are also excellent (just a fel pro 9333) I am running those this year on my new DSS with no problems at all.
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......