Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tensioner!!???

Junior SCH Member

Tensioner!!???

When installing my d-1sc in the manual it says when using a d-1 i can bypass the smog pump. well i left my bracket off and when the car is started the tensioner clicks and bottoms out...it also seems to be shaking a lot...has anybody else had this problem...we fought the belt on and the only other way i could go smaller is maybe loosen up the alternator, get it started and then thread it back in???? any suggetsions

What year car is this going on, explain your combo and setup a bit better.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Senior SCH Member
    I had this problem with my car, donnie at walsh told me to put the pulleys back on.
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by blownwindsor
    I had this problem with my car, donnie at walsh told me to put the pulleys back on.
    it is going on a 94 mustang gt. it is a d-1sc three core intercooler setup. you can go from the crank to the smog pump to the tensioner to the alternator or eliminate the smog pump and go straight to the tensioner...it seems that it may be to much pressure on the tensioner????

Senior SCH Member
    Originally posted by noodles*5.0
    it is going on a 94 mustang gt. it is a d-1sc three core intercooler setup. you can go from the crank to the smog pump to the tensioner to the alternator or eliminate the smog pump and go straight to the tensioner...it seems that it may be to much pressure on the tensioner????
    On all of the 94 cars that I have installed a p1sc or d1sc kit on, the tensioner moves back and forth in kind of a wobble. I beleive this is normal, as I even purchased a new tensioner and the new one does the same thing. If its bottomed out, you might need a tighter belt.

Dan
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by paluka21
    On all of the 94 cars that I have installed a p1sc or d1sc kit on, the tensioner moves back and forth in kind of a wobble. I beleive this is normal, as I even purchased a new tensioner and the new one does the same thing. If its bottomed out, you might need a tighter belt.

Dan

And did you get away with bypassing the smog pump on all these??? i was thinking tighter belt, just don't know how mcuh tighter...what belts is everyone using out there??? sizes??

Senior SCH Member
    Originally posted by noodles*5.0
    And did you get away with bypassing the smog pump on all these??? i was thinking tighter belt, just don't know how mcuh tighter...what belts is everyone using out there??? sizes??
    Sorry, all were using smog pump.
    I'm unsure of what belt length you will need for the smog pump delete. Honestly I am sure ati would know if you give them a ring.

Dan
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

I run without the smog pump on mine. The belt size depends on what size blower pulley you are running. For my 3.55" pulley I used a belt that was I think 103 and 7/8" and for my 3.35" pulley (or is it 3.40" - I'm too tired to think) I'm running the next size down which I think is 103 and 5/8"? The gates belt #'s end in 1033 for the longer and 1031 for the shorter. I haven't had any problems with belt slippage or breakage and I"m running 15lbs of boost. You want a belt to be so tight you have to pry it on because after it runs for a little while it stretches out. Hope this helps.
    '94 Cobra, Procharged 10psi, otherwise mostly stock - 400rwhp 412tq

Now more boost and more horses

Best e.t. - don't ask
    Best trap - 119.3

New 347 combo coming soon - shooting for daily driving 600rwhp

Senior SCH Member
    My tensioner does this too, it shakes and "wobbles" while the car idles. I figured it was normal.

However, I tried something the other night...I had Autozone cross reference the ATI supplied gates belt to a Goodyear "gatorback" belt which is grooved and has a special compound that gets sticky when it gets hot. I noticed a 1-2psi increase in boost just by installing this belt! But I also realized that my tensioner is worn out, so I need to replace that next. I should see even more boost then!
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

What kind of belt did you get (SnakeIs)?
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    I had them cross my Gates belt that came with my ATI kit. I think the number was KO61145 but I'm not sure. This is for all accesories and A/C. It is the Goodyear "Gatorback" type belt and looks totally different from the regular ATI belt.
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306

The reason I ask, is because I have the P1SC kit on my 87' that is a stand alone and doesn't seem to want to slip (I won't know till the dyno), but at the same time, the blower pulley is so far away from the crank and tensioner, that I wish that there was some way to make me feel better about it... hense a better belt, the one that I have has been run before and is in good condition, but is definitey used, so I was thinking about getting a new belt anyway. So the belt you got is a GoodYear Gatorback? I wonder if they make those in short 8-rib versions like I would need.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    I'm sure they do. Just get the numbers off the belt and have it crossed. If not, bring your belt in and match it to a new goodyear and you know it'll fit then! I wish mine was 8 rib, the 94-95's don't have that option. We have to use the damn cheesy stock 6 rib... :(
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306

Yea, that is one thing that I LOVE about not having a serpantine blower setup (not being limited to belt width)... there are drawbacks of a stand-alone though, trust me.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Junior SCH Member
    I got the problem fixed.....i bought a belt that was 103.7 and it took three of us to get it on....it is perfect now though, not sure what kind of boost yet though, i think my pulley is a three inch, but scared to get on it, last time the hg let go, going to the dyno tommorow.....for 94 users also, i took the pulley of a fox body's tensioner and putit on mine because it has a lip, seems to be a lot safer....thanks guys