Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
axels

Thread: axels

Senior SCH Member

axels

should i use the stock axels in my car or should i go with after markets. best of 13.5 at 108.00 before the 1000

5 speed or Auto? Do you launch hard at the track?

Ian

Senior SCH Member
    5 speed launch at about 4500 rpms should i worrie

I would not worry for now. There are many users running the good old 28 splines and they hold up fine.

Do you drag race often? Does your traction lock work now?

Ian

Yeah I definately agree with Ian. I wouldn't worry about your axles as of now. I still use my stock axles (street use / heavy launches when I race) and they are holding up fine (/me knocks on wood), however my car has not seen any track time so who knows if they would hold up at the track. If you go to the track I would just keep them (the stock axles) till they break. Then afterwards upgrade to some 31 spline mosers or something like that.
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

Stangs and other SVT products I've owned...

2001 F150 SVT Lightning (Silver)
    JDM Stage 1 & 2 kit and 3k+ worth of audiosex
    [ sold... ]

91 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

#001 8" Crank Pulley Club

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

"ALWAYS OUT NUMBERED, NEVER OUT GUNNED"

Mustang Videos! Watch'em, upload'em and we host them at:

Senior SCH Member
    i race every 2nd week in the summer ,the trac lock works fine i thought it was screwed this summer until i put a clutch quadrant in and adjustable cable what a diffenrce the quadrant made .

Originally posted by chris
    i race every 2nd week in the summer ,the trac lock works fine i thought it was screwed this summer until i put a clutch quadrant in and adjustable cable what a diffenrce the quadrant made .
    What kind of tires are you launching at 4500rpms with?

I wouldn't do it with an ET Street or anything equivilant.
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

Senior SCH Member
    im usen et drags

Junior SCH Member
    IMO, DO NOT wait until they break(key work here being UNTIL). Especially with a stick car on slicks. You run the risk of having alot more to repair than just a broken axle.....

Senior SCH Member
    i kinda thought so but some guys say there running on 600rwhp on stock axels,i thought of taking the chance but i really dont want to

I would say that your clutch is soaking up the shock or your not just dumping the clutch. If you are then I would say you are running on borrowed time.:)
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

Senior SCH Member
    i ordered a set of moser this morning i dont want to break the first time i launch

Senior SCH Member
    Good move. You don't want them to break without c-clip eliminators. They don't always come straight out and like to eat up sheet metal if it gets in the way.

SCH Member

damm stock axles

I broke a 28 spline axle with slicks and that was with a 5000 rpm launch. What a mess.It also broke the side gear in the differential.when it was all said and done it cost me $1200 for 31 spline axles and a 31 spline diff, axle bearings and seals plus the tow home from the track. My best advise is if your going to use slicks and launch hard spend the money now and make the upgrade 31's or do it after you broke it while its in pieces as i did.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Olde Pharte racer's trick:
    Axles twist a bunch before they will break. Before you install your new axles, first clean them and paint a thin white stripe down the length of each axle. You can then periodically remove them to check for permanent axle twist. Check with your axle supplier on this, but I would replace them when they reach 1/3 turn wrapup. Also get yourself some good wheel studs to go with the axles, if they don't come with them.

When inspecting them for twist, if you see any significant rust spots, you'll want to chuck them (not minor cosmetic surface rust, but penetrating or scaling rust).