Thread: quality control

Junior SCH Member

quality control

I have always had trouble with belt alignment and throwing belts.

I have been working on getting everything shimmed up to align the blower and crank perfectly (see belt alignment thread) .

I swapped on my 3.05 pulley, as I thought the greater width would help in lineing things up. When i put it on and checked, everything was way off (again).

At that point i put my other two pullies under my dial indicator, and found a small difference in width (.010) between the 2.75 and 2.95 pullies.

Then I pulled the 3.05, and found it was a whopping .035 thicker than the 2.75 pulley.

I think this is really sad... I'm not going to bother to call them again, because I know there is nothing they would do about it. 3 pullies, three thicknesses, so much for easy adjustment of boost levels with a pulley swap. I guess this wouldn't be as big a deal if the bracket actually lined the head unit up in an accurate and stable position (it doesn't).

I haven't figured out how to use the dial indicator to measure the amount the bracket "cocks" the head unit, but I did confirm my long held suspision of bracket flex. putting the magnetic base on the AC pulley, with the dial on the blower pulley and squeezing the blower belt together moves the bracket right out....

I'm really thinking of pulling this POS off the car and selling it.

I sure hope the quality of the newer head units and pulley dimensions are more accurate.

Junior SCH Member
    Actually, I did call them, the tech didn't seem to believe me. I asked him how thick the're supposed to be. He went to measure them, and found a simmilar range of thickness...

As far as how I'm supposed to get this lined up, he suggested a belt sander (thats what I would do, it doesn't have to be that close, man!). He then went on to talk about how they have the Pro 5.0 and renegade records, as if that had anything to do with this POS i have been dealing with for the past few years.

SCH Member
    I would of replied with "How many street miles do those record holders drive?"

There is a huge difference between a street car and a race car.
    We need a belt to stay on for more than 1320'!