Thread: Wierd smoking problem.?.?.?.?.?

Junior SCH Member

Wierd smoking problem.?.?.?.?.?

We just got my friends car back together after changing the head gaskets. It's a 94GT with a D1SC, AFR165, Track heat intake, Anderson B4 cam, 42 lb injectors. Now it smokes like crazy out of the breather on the pass side, it's like a whiteish smoke that smells like oil. When we first got the car running it never did that untill we blew the head gasket (pass side, every cylinder blew up @ the 12 O'clock position into the coolant passages). What do you think could be causing it to smoke like that????? If you plug the opening in the valve cover with your hand the smoke finds its way out of the valve cover....

THANKS

Jeremy

Senior SCH Member
    I had the same issue w/ my 95 cobra. The white smoke could be a number of things, and the only real way to find out is to run a leakdown test.
    The white smoke can be an indicator of compression getting by the rings, as in bad rings, a cracked ring land, or water in the oil, although you said you just fixed that problem.
    I am also wondering or not if the white smoke could be an indicator of gas in the oil, as the oil in my car smells of gas after a few hundred hard miles.
    Let me know what you find.

Dan
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech

I was getting smoke from the breather on the dyno yesterday and was told it was simply the oil spray heating up and smoking. Don't know if that was it, but that's what I was told.
    '94 Cobra, Procharged 10psi, otherwise mostly stock - 400rwhp 412tq

Now more boost and more horses

Best e.t. - don't ask
    Best trap - 119.3

New 347 combo coming soon - shooting for daily driving 600rwhp

Senior SCH Member
    A little steam/smoke is normal coming from the crankcase on a forced induction car. It is shoving so much pressure in the cylinders that some of it makes its way to the crankcase and then out the vent as its supposed to. The worse your engine is worn the more it does it. This is known as blow-by. My new DSS motor does it a little after some really hard full boost pulls. You can almost eliminate this by hooking the PCV valve back to the intake and installing a 1 way check valve in-line with it. It is mostly caused by lack of vacumn in the crankcase, which the engine needs to help ring seal.
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

Senior SCH Member

PLEASE SEE MY NEW POST

guys,
    I spoke with ATI about these recent issues, venting the pvc back into the upper intake manifold with a one way check valve before the manifold etc.
    I am making a new post w/ their remarks.

Dan
    1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021
    Dart 331,AFR185,D1SC,RPMII upper/lower
    OLD
    GT40X, E303, D1SC 13psi, 3 core intercooler, Magnaflow Catback, Hooker equal lengths, Mac Prochamber, 3.73, Auburn, Moser 31 splines, Pro-m75, MSD 6AL, TKO, Spec Stage III, Larocca Tuned
    10psi 11:1 a/f= 464rwhp 431ft/lbs

11.9@123mph @13psi 1.9 60'
    hp? tq?
    Moderator of General Tech