Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P1SC choice?

SCH Member

P1SC choice?

Hello,

I'm seriously considering purchasing and installing a Procharer on my modified '86 GT. Was wondering if the bracketry flexing and belt alignment issues have been corrected on the newest P or D1SC units? Also, is it necessary to run a 3-core intercooler on a mostly stock car? If I was to do a H/C/I upgrade, would I then benefit from the 3-core?

Thanks.

- Mark

I'm curious as well

brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Senior SCH Member
    I'm pretty sure all the issues are straightened out now with the new P1's. You should be fine. The 3 core will just make the charge temps that much cooler, but if you don't plan to make serious power and just stay moderate (300-400) then I see no reason to spend the extra on the 3 core. But it is a nice upgrade and you will want it in the future. I like the self contained oil feature too, but why not consider the oil fed blowers? They are my favorite and there has never been a seal issue with them. I have had my oil fed P600 for quite a long time now and it has been flawless with tons of daily driving torture.
    1995 GT
    Black on Black
    T-5
    D.S.S Pro Bullet 306
    and almost every part in the FRPP catalog.

And a 'Strange' whistling sound under the hood courtesy of ProCharger......

SCH Member
    Anyone else? Looking for additional information.

Thanks!
    '86 GT: Vortech V2 SQ S-Trim, AFM Power Pipe, Seris III PMS, Pro-M 80 AFM N/A cal, Edelbrock Performer RPM, E7s, Stock Cam, 1.6 RRs, 75mm TB, 42# injectors, No FMU, GSS340 255lph, MAC 1-5/8" LTs, 2.5" H-pipe, 2-ch. Flowmasters, 3.73s, Auburn Pro, Strange 9" axles with 9" axle ends, J&M adj LCAs, Crane HI-6R, 3G 130amp alt., & Need a WB!

Future Mods: TFS TW Fast as Cast Heads, AFM B-31 Cam, & Snow Performance Meth Kit

SCH Member
    I've had mine so long I can't remember how old it is! ;)

I think it's been 2 1/2 years.

The ONLY problem I have had is the tensioner has self-destructed.
    The eye bolt dug into the tensioner and is now bent, so my belt is somewhat loose. I see 10-12 lbs with a 14 lb pulley now.

SCH Member
    Four eyed,

That's great that you haven't had any P1-SC seal issues! Do you have the intercooled kit? How difficult was the installation? I'm assuming that you have an '86 like myself?

It's strange that some people never have an from with their p1-sc and others (seems to be many sometimes) are constantly having problems. My buddy and I actually want to go the procharger route with both of our cars b/c of the intercooler, self-contained head unit and the 3-year warranty!

- Mark
    '86 GT: Vortech V2 SQ S-Trim, AFM Power Pipe, Seris III PMS, Pro-M 80 AFM N/A cal, Edelbrock Performer RPM, E7s, Stock Cam, 1.6 RRs, 75mm TB, 42# injectors, No FMU, GSS340 255lph, MAC 1-5/8" LTs, 2.5" H-pipe, 2-ch. Flowmasters, 3.73s, Auburn Pro, Strange 9" axles with 9" axle ends, J&M adj LCAs, Crane HI-6R, 3G 130amp alt., & Need a WB!

Future Mods: TFS TW Fast as Cast Heads, AFM B-31 Cam, & Snow Performance Meth Kit

SCH Member
    Edit:

Four eyed,

That's great that you haven't had any P1-SC seal issues! Do you have the intercooled kit? How difficult was the installation? I'm assuming that you have an '86 like myself?

It's strange that some people never have any problems with their p1-sc and others (seems to be many sometimes) are constantly having problems. My buddy and I actually want to go the procharger route with both of our cars b/c of the intercooler, self-contained head unit and the 3-year warranty!

- Mark

I know a lot of people that haven't had any problems with their P1SC head units, one particularly that has been on 2 of my friends cars now that has taken and given quite a good ammount of abuse. It has blown up a motor more than once too :) Hopefully mine will prove be this reliable. Another buddy that has a P600B on a 97' GT has had nothing but belt throwing issues... no matter how well I align that baby, it LOVES to throw belts.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

SCH Member
    Great! Now I'm starting to feel more comfortable with going the procharger route. Don't want to recommend that a friend go with procharger and have problems from day 1. I personally have always wanted to go with ATI... Guess any problems will be taken care of by the warranty, that's why it's there!

Have you heard of any belt alignment issues out of the box? Saw one person who had to have a .410 inch spacer plate made up just the get the pulleys in alignment, right out of the box!

The 97' car had big issues at first, but that is because he had a shop install the kit that totaly missed the fact that the kit came with spacers! After looking over his car carefully when the 2nd belt went, I noticed that his blower was quite a bit out of alignment and solved the issue with a few washers on the mounting points to get it back to where it should be. After doing all of that, he found the spacers tucked away in the origional box! The 97' kit, a D1 kit that I helped with, and a few others are just fine... no problems at all. I shimmed mine a bit to get it perfect, but that' just because I don't even want the chance of throwing a belt on my car.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Junior SCH Member
    i just put a p-1sc on my 1985 gt carb everything lines up fine.
    1985 gt
    p-1sc 2 row intercooled

SCH Member
    Dee,

Have any pics of the '85 setup? Which kit did you get and how is your carb and fuel system setup? My buddy would love to hear some details on your setup as he wants to put a P1-SC on his '85 as well...

Thanks!

- Mark

SCH Member
    Yes mine is an '86.
    Leakage has not been a problem.
    I bought the non-IC kit and added an IC 1 1/2 years later.
    I used the 6 lb pulley until I added the IC, fuel and custom tune.

The installation took a weekend of evenings, but I took my time.
    You will enjoy it right away and it will really shine as you learn to tune it and upgrade the rest of the engine.

I started with 287 rwhp with a bone stock 160,000 mile engine(6 psi no IC).

It got 301 rwhp on the same tired engine with a Cobra intake and full exhaust(6 psi no IC).

A Ford XB3 crate engine (B-cam with GT-40X aluminum heads) got it 389 rwhp(6 psi no IC).

The IC, smaller pulley and custom tune went 427 rwhp so far. Thats with a slipping belt.

SCH Member
    Four eye,

That's a nice setup! Only 6 psi and 427rwhp! Does the non-intercooled kit mount on the driver's side with the discharge tube running over the top of the motor by the distributor?

SCH Member
    No, no, no!
    427 was with 12 psi(as seen on the gauge- 14 psi pulley) and an IC :)

You can order the non-IC kit either way.
    I got it with the plans to upgrade to IC when I could afford it.
    I got a 2 core on ebay for $245.