Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Cog setup on S-trim..

Thread: Cog setup on S-trim..

SCH Member

Cog setup on S-trim..

Im trying to look for an answer to my belt slipping problems.
    I run an S-trim, the usual heads,cam,intake, ect.. on my 94 GT.
    currently i run the 7" ASP crank pulley, and the stock 3.3" blower pulley spun on a gatorback belt(old, and used, but isnt torn or worn) Problem is, i have to tighten the belt down so tight, just to get it to grip good at 12-14psi(6000rpms). Ive already exploded one balancer in 5 pieces from running a tight belt, and dont want it to happen agian.. Im concidering a cogged setup.

Ive heard Cogged pulleys are kinda loud. Is this true? Will a cogged setup allow me to run a slightly looser blower belt?
    I really dont like having to tighten that belt down soo much.
    Are there any downsides to running a cogged setup? If someone could list the pro's vs con's that would be prefect.. Lastly, what would the cogged pulleys and belt run me, pricewise?
    thanks, Mike
    Vibrant Red 94GT

Senior SCH Member
    your current belt is glazed = polished = not good grip. i recommend replacing it.

i heard somehere that you can't run a cogged setup on a s-trim. something about it just isn't strong enough to handle the increased harmonics the cogging brings with it.

do you have one of those custom pullies, rechart, (or something like that) ?

SCH Member
    hey, that is true, the belt im using is pretty old.. its probably wel glazed over by now, becuase i had major slippage problems a while back and just let it go... I think il replace that belt. Know any autoparts stores that would carry it?

Yea, i also posted this over on corral, and i got some replies about the s-trims not having heavy duty bearings, and the harmonics would kill the s-trim bearings in no time.

No, i dont run one of his pulleys, ive seen them, great idea, but i just cant see spending that on one pulley.. Im going to give a new belt a try first. Then possibly sandblast my pulleys for some added grip.
    Vibrant Red 94GT