Thread: Which Supercharger Brace to use?

Junior SCH Member

Which Supercharger Brace to use?

Hey guys I am currently debating on which Supercharger Brace to use on my cogged T trim. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with braces? I am having a problem breaking belts and that gets expensive. I already have all solid mounts.

My options seem to be.
    Cartech shock tower brace.
    Vortech snout/crank brace.
    Custom mounting bracket.
    or make my own custom brace.

Thanks!
    Nate

Braces

I personally like the results of the HPM adjustable brace. It goes from header bolts to front of the head unit. go to www.hpmotorsport.com to see more. Click on product registration and then on drivetrain. Getting ready to use one on my own cogged t-trim. Friends in the past have used them with good results.
    Drag Racing...Where being the quickest is considered a good thing. :D

Junior SCH Member

Re: Braces

Originally posted by MeJay Racing
    I personally like the results of the HPM adjustable brace. It goes from header bolts to front of the head unit. go to www.hpmotorsport.com to see more. Click on product registration and then on drivetrain. Getting ready to use one on my own cogged t-trim. Friends in the past have used them with good results.
    Yeah I purchased one and sent it back because I was not too keen on the thought of my supercharger being braced by header bolts in my Aluminum heads. The car is pretty violent and I was afraid the torque would end up ripping the bolts out of the head. I am probably being way too cautious but it just doesen't seem like a very strong source to brace with. If I new somone who had good results with it making a lot of power I may still try one.

Have you ever had problems with belts breaking? What is your pulley set up?

Nate

Big power

I haven't installed my kit yet but I got it from Tony Strong. He was running this set up on a 347 using 75 tooth crank and 29 tooth blower pulley. He was going 10.0s at 3500lbs before the intercooler. Then when he was upgrading to a turbo I got the kit. Do you already have a 2nd pulley on the bottom (long side) of the belt. It helps with harmonics of the belt at higher RPMs and between the two he was having good luck. I will try and track down his email address and have him chime in on this so you could talk to him more about belt breakage.

Junior SCH Member
    Man your car will be mean with that pulley set up! I only have the one idler pulley on top thats mounted on the vortech bracket. I am interested in that second pulley set up if I can find out more about it. If I can ever get these belts to stop breaking I want to go to a 77 tooth crank pulley to hopefully put me in the 9's.
    Did he run the hpm brace on his car?

Yes

Yes he ran the brace. Wish my car was closer to completion so I could send you some pics. Soon as I get a hold of him I'll see if he has any pics of his set up. Here is the only pic of his setup I have.
    Last edited by MeJay Racing; 01-04-2006 at 10:08 AM.

Junior SCH Member
    Man that igloo looks sick:D Hell maybe I should try that hpm brace and the 2nd idler pulley. If you find out who makes the idler pulley set up let me know. I would like to know how many passes they usually get on a belt before replacing it? I can usually get 2-3 full passes before I break a belt.

Belts

I talked to Tony today and he said if he kept rpms to 6000 the belt was fine. Soon as he went to 6500 he was also having problems with the belt. Not tossing or breaking but stripping the teeth. What kind of tranny do you have? How high are you spinning it? Hopefully I will get my blower on the motor this weekend. If I do I will post some pics of the second pulley setup.
    Mike

Junior SCH Member
    i use the hpm blower brace an it works great, no problems yet..keep the blower from flexing..not to stop the motor from moving so much...soild mounts here i come

Junior SCH Member

Re: Belts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MeJay Racing
    I talked to Tony today and he said if he kept rpms to 6000 the belt was fine. Soon as he went to 6500 he was also having problems with the belt. Not tossing or breaking but stripping the teeth. What kind of tranny do you have? How high are you spinning it? Hopefully I will get my blower on the motor this weekend. If I do I will post some pics of the second pulley setup.
    Mike
    [/QUOTE

Thanks for asking him. That explains a lot, my belts don't shred until the same RPM's but my power does not start to call off until 6500rpms so that is where I shift. I have a Dynamic C4. I guess the only resolution to this problem is too just limit my rpm's but that is going to suck.... When the belts go it does the same thing he described, it just shreds the teeth off the belt. Hmmm I been wondering if anyone else had that problem.
    Do you guys have any suggestions? I hate to hold back and shift at 6k that could make a failry large difference in my times...
    Thanks!

Junior SCH Member
    Mike did you ever get the T trim installed?

Nope

Ran into money troubles. (retired military pay hasn't come for like 3 months). So told wife I would wait til the pay starts back up to get my truck. But I'll keep you posted.
    Mike

Junior SCH Member
    Sorry about that, I hope it all works out for you. Yeah I think money is tight this year for everyone. Atleast for me it is...