Thread: check engine light

Senior SCH Member

check engine light

how do you think a check engine light would effect a car well it was being tuned. had my car tuned a week ago and was told that the car was not responding. and come to find out that the light was on the whole time, but the shop would not of known that because I had my check engine light cut. It was suppose to be fixed but wasent properly fixed so when they were dynoing the car the light was on but they would not of known.

SCH Member
    *I would expect a competent tuner to find the codes relating to the light without the bulb being lit.

A dirty port is most often the problem with tuning a chip.
    The test port comes from the factory with an impressive amount of goo in it!

*This is a beer night, so if my answer makes no sense, I cannot be held responsible! ;)

Yes and no about the CEL though... don't forget tuners generaly un-plug the computer and piggy-back it back on to do tuning, so any code and/or status of the computer would be wiped by the time it was all plugged back in. Not responding, well I don't know about that... he should have at least known that something was up, but you have to remember, a lot of speed shops don't want to sit there and troubleshoot cars when they are not in for that reason. Anyway, if it is a major CEL code, the computer will not take to any adjustments, so I can see where he is coming from. Have you pulled the codes since then? Do you have another appointment?
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

http://wa2fast.corral.net

Senior SCH Member
    just talk to felix at walsh and he told me it would not have anything to do with and we went over some problems with my car.
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

What did he end up saying though... he is extremely knowledgable and a great help. What suggestions did he come up with, or rather, what did he think was going on?
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    he told me it will have nothing to do with horsepower, it only effect driveabilty. but they told me they had a scanner on the dyno and they did not see anything. we also went over some problems Im having with my car. because it down about a 100 or so horsepower, and told me to get rid of the p600b and the canfields. and were thinking the came is in wrong.
    351 canfield heads, trickflow intake, comp cam amd all the supporting hardware. p600b soon to do be d1 powered

What heads did he suggest then?
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    trick flow heads,or victor jr

That's Walsh for ya'. I would honestly think that your canfield heads are almost just as good as the tfs heads, but then again, I could be wrong.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    I thought the same thing, I seen flow numbers on the heads .

Those guys are the best... they know what they are talking about, they are experts, but I will say that they have a very narrow vision on heads... they suggest TFS and Victor Jr.'s to everyone for almost every application. Walsh was blown out of the water when he saw what he was able to pull out of my car with X heads and a N/A setup, he was just beside himself. I would stick with those heads and start looking around for other problem possibilities... there is obviously something wrong. Have you done a leak down test and/or a compression test lately? That might not be a bad idea, also, drive your car for a bit, log a few running hours on it, then pull the codes. Where are you located... you can't be far from me, I have a really nice code scanner, a professional one.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    donnie did a both those things and they checked out fine, the only thing we could come up with is that maybe the guy at maxmium put the came in wrong. we were thinking maybe he degreed it wrong. as for the check engine light I will almost say that it is my air intake temp sensor. they also said my fuel pressure reg is bad, so im going to replace that. and then they also told me that the blower is all to small, and my Intake did not line up with my heads. but I will be pulling the motor out to check the cam and fix the oil leaks on my brand new motor. I live on 15 mile and ryan thanks for the info

15 and Ryan... Ha, you are exactly 3 miles away from me (I work at 15 and Stephenson) every day durring work. Anyway, if you want, maybe we could meet up one day soon or I can stop by and scan that for you and see what codes we pull. If you say that your AIT sensor is bad, well that could have a LOT to do with it. When that happens, the computer won't listen to any changes, runs in open loop and pulls timing like you would not beleive. If your cam is in wrong, that also could explain power loss... but I would think it would be rather obvious weather your cam was advanced or ritarded with it up on the dyno like that. Fuel pressure regulator, when those go bad, if the diaphram leaks, you are sucking fuel into the intake under vacume which is an uncontrolable fuel problem according to the computer. Your intake ports being larger/smaller than your head ports would explain a little power loss, but not that much. I would check and fix the obvious firstm and then worry about the ports. It honestly sounds like one or all of above is wrong, worry about the intake ports last, they aren't going to hurt anything and certainly won't make you down on power like this.
    ---Don---
    WA2FAST

Senior SCH Member
    I figured that about the cam, but thats what donnie told me. he said that maybe the guy did not use a cam wheel and his straight up maybe diffrent.as for the sensor it may of came loose I will check that. but as for the reg its bad, car falls on its face when I shift, but than again donnie told me it would do that . but anytime you want to scan it, just let me know. thanks anthony