Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
ys to x trim...advantages?

Thread: ys to x trim...advantages?

Junior SCH Member

ys to x trim...advantages?

i wasnt sure if i should put this here or in the x trim forum...i'll try it here.

do you think it would be worth switching from the ys to the x trim, what kind of increase in power or times do you think i will see.

i have heard that the ys lasts a lot longer than the x, because it needs to be rebuilt often.

thanks

Senior SCH Member
    how hard are you spinning your YS? and what kinda power are you looking to achieve?
    Spence

8.96/160

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by Spence
    how hard are you spinning your YS? and what kinda power are you looking to achieve?
    77/30 is the setup that i have right now, i havent even run the car with the ys yet. i have a buddy that wants to buy it for what i paid for it, and i was going to do it if it was worth the switch to the x trim.

i really have no idea what kind of power my combo is going to make, or what it will run

Senior SCH Member
    thats about a Mid to high nine combo. I ran 77/30 and went 9.40/14x, but was intercooled. The X will move ALOT more air with less pulley. YS is good into the 8s, but you are really gonna spin it very hard to do so. if you not racing in a class then an X is prolly a better choice if you looking to make over 1000hp, under that the YS is good.
    Spence

8.96/160

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by Spence
    thats about a Mid to high nine combo. I ran 77/30 and went 9.40/14x, but was intercooled. The X will move ALOT more air with less pulley. YS is good into the 8s, but you are really gonna spin it very hard to do so. if you not racing in a class then an X is prolly a better choice if you looking to make over 1000hp, under that the YS is good.
    i dont race in a class....i have heard about reliability issues with the x trim, i really dont want to be having it rebuilt every 3 weeks, have you heard anything bad about the reliability of the x?

Senior SCH Member
    Vortech has cured that problem that they had with the x about 5 years ago. beside I highly doubt you will be spinning as hard as the outlaw guys were in the past.
    Spence

8.96/160

Junior SCH Member
    As a good start, you might want to consider losing the stick. With the cogs and a nasty missed shift, you'll be spinning it WAY past it's limits. Not to mention, I'm sure that tko wont last very long. It'll be plenty past it's limits.
    FFW DR27

Junior SCH Member
    Spence,

I'm here on the east now and have tried to install the 77 tooth pulley with 30 tooth on the blower. The belt hit up against the water pump pulley now matter what I did. I was thinking of just going to the mezie pump with the accessory pulley. Look I got the crank pulley and can't it to fit so please give some help here.

Thanks...
    COME CORRECT
    PALADIN MOTORSPORTS
    BRIEF ENCOUNTER

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by JHenke
    As a good start, you might want to consider losing the stick. With the cogs and a nasty missed shift, you'll be spinning it WAY past it's limits. Not to mention, I'm sure that tko wont last very long. It'll be plenty past it's limits.
    im trying to keep the car as streetable as possible, thats why i am staying with the 5spd. i only hit up the track twice a month for the street race events around here (they take the tree down) i mostly do my racing illegally
    i havent missed a gear in 2 yrs (knock on wood), we'll see how long it lasts i guess, i'll probably switch to a c4 in a year or 2.

Originally posted by red95gt
    im trying to keep the car as streetable as possible, thats why i am staying with the 5spd. i only hit up the track twice a month for the street race events around here (they take the tree down) i mostly do my racing illegally
    i havent missed a gear in 2 yrs (knock on wood), we'll see how long it lasts i guess, i'll probably switch to a c4 in a year or 2.
    I was going to stay with a manual also, because I like street driving also. My car will be race once a week and see the street on Saturday evenings. Rick Anderson and others said all I will do is break the manual tranny, and would be a lot more controlable as an automatic. So I got the Mighty Mite from Dynamic with all the good stuff in it. When I get it running we will see how it handles the street duties I put on it.
    393 stroker with YS-trim Vortech :-)

Junior SCH Member
    Can you keep power steering with the X-trim or other mondo kits? Is there any way to get a serpentine drive system for em instead of cogs?

Senior SCH Member
    red95gt: just a headsup, you do not want to put an X trim on your car at this point, there seems to be a problem with the units that we havent been able to figure out just yet, Thats about all I can say right now, but I would hold off on the X until we finish testing and get this problem sorted out.
    Spence

8.96/160

Junior SCH Member
    Any updates on this?

Senior SCH Member
    so far so good, 2 new units have made a number of passes without any problems. I have found on my car that I need to spin the X very very hard to make any kind of low end boost. unless you plan on spinning high rpms stick with the YS, right now we are making about 5 psi less boost than the YS up to 6500rpms, once over that it takes off and by 7500 it passes the YS by close to 2 psi. we are running a much larger intercooler and intake than before so we have alot more to fill, we are making another pulley change to try and get the low end boost we need to make the car run hard to the 1/8th mile.
    its making killer power up top with the X, its picking up 35mph from the 1/8th to the 1/4, were the YS only went 32mph, its just the low end that is lacking. should have more test results in the next couple weeks.
    Spence

8.96/160