Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What should I do?

Thread: What should I do?

Junior SCH Member

What should I do?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Just found this place and I'm glad I did.

I don't know what got me started on Paxtons but for some reason I've always wanted one. Well, my 94 GT now has the DSS Pro Bullet 306 with 8.7:1 compression pistons, AFR 185s, etc, so I'm finally ready for my NOVI 2000. But, I've heard some conflicting reports.

First of all, a friend of mine, a very stubborn friend of mine, has a dad who has a 600+ hp Mustang. It now has a Vortech on it but before that it had 2 ATI Prochargers. (procharger can't think of a good name like NOVI 2000 so I get mixed up with their names, but I think they had a P-1sc and a D-1) Anyway, he keeps saying time and time again "yeah if your cars gonna be a daily driver, you better not get that Paxton. We'll see how long those cylinder walls last. Paxton sucks. They don't have intercoolers (94-95) and they don't make as much power as Prochargers. Paxtons suck." I was like...uh... ok, let me ask you, how many NOVIs have you had? Then he said... uh, well none but they still suck. Well, just wait till I get my Paxton and we'll see just how bad they "suck."

Honestly though, I do have some questions. For one, although I've read that due to the NOVI 2000s design, they do not produce as much heat as competitors, and thus does not require an intercooler (it wouldn't hurt but an intercooler is not necessary). Being that my car is daily driven, and I do do a lot of highway driving, will the Paxton have any negative effects on my motor? I do have a Viper T56 so at 70mph I'm only at 1,850rpms even with 4.10 gears so the way I figure low rpms = relatively low boost so I would think it would be a problem.

Also, whats the difference between the NOVI 2000 and the Renegade? I've seen both, and from what I've seen, the only differences I notice is that the Renegade is cheaper, and it puts the SC on the drivers side, whereas the normal NOVI 2000 puts the SC on the passenger side. ??? I'm sure there's more to it than that.

What about cog drive? I've heard that its bad for street driven cars, but it doesn't make sense to me. What do you guys think?

Also I found it for $3300 for the polished NOVI 2000, is this the best price?

Lastly, (stupid question) but considering the specs on my car below in my signature, what kind of power do you guys think I'll make with the NOVI 2000 @ 15psi?

Thanks guys :D
    | DSS Pro Bullet 306 | 8.7:1 compression | AFR 185 | Holley Systemax | BBK 70mm TB | Pro-M 80mm MAF & 38lb injectors | CompCams 35-351-8 | Aeromotive Competition fuel system |

| D&D Viper T56 | SPEC Stg. III | Fidanza aluminum flywheel | 4.10s | Eaton Posi | Moser 31-splines | Trick Flow T/A cover |

| Maximum Motorsports front and rear coilovers, panhard bar, subframe connectors, rear control arms, c/c plates | Performance Automotive chromoly K-member | Tubular a-arms |

First off, welcome to the forum:D

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. My opinion will be an unbiased one believe it or not as I too was in your position prior to my purchase so I did lots of research before I bought.

You've already made a very smart observation that a lot of people miss in regards to the Novi.....it's efficiency. Novi blowers are known and have been proven to run quite a bit cooler discharge temp wise compared to Vortech and especially a non-intercooled Procharger. Also I'm not convinced an intercooler is required on most street supercharged cars. How much air do these guys think they are moving through there when they tool around town? Procharger still have the designation of being THE blower if you like oil leaks as they still have seal problems with the self contained design. How long does it take to get this right? For me ATI was ruled out early in my shopping and it came down to Paxton or Vortech. The clincher? Brackets! The Novi brackets are without equal.... end of story. Plus the kit is very complete and the price is right considering what this blower is capable of boost wise. It's a blower you can't outgrow unless you go nuts.

will the Paxton have any negative effects on my motor? I do have a Viper T56 so at 70mph I'm only at 1,850rpms even with 4.10 gears so the way I figure low rpms = relatively low boost so I would think it would be a problem.Odds are you'll want to change that ratio though as it will be a handful on the street with the kind of power you'll make.
    At 1,800 rpm the boost level would be nil so it won't affect the car. Almost all centrifugal superchargers typically don't make boost until the 3000 rpm range.

Also, whats the difference between the NOVI 2000 and the Renegade?
    I don't think you can use the Renegade kit on your car as it is a 94. The Renegade kit is meant for 86-93. Keep in mind as well that your car would require the 94-95 Mustang Novi 2000 kit (part #1001812)

What about cog drive?
    Not required on a street car and very noisey. Some people use them, but I wouldn't recommend it. A little belt slip is good on a street car as cogs can be hard on the crank. Plus you can forget about a warranty with cogs.

what kind of power do you guys think I'll make with the NOVI 2000 @ 15psi?
    Given your mods and 15lbs of boost, your motor should EASILY make 530++ at the wheels no problem at all. I wouldn't push harder than that though as the stock block is the weak link at that power level.

In terms of pricing, I'm not sure what a 94-95 kit retails for. Call Jack @ MuscleMotors (818-888-7778) and tell him your a member. You can also try Dave @ JD's Performance (407-299-0222
    Pre-Order, tech line) Many of our members have dealt with both and have good things to say about them (I got mine from Jack...A+)

Senior SCH Member
    I know that our set up's are quite different, but I will tell you that a novi car can be driven daily without a problem. The only failures that I have seen or heard of is due to over spinning. You will find that the Novi is the bench mark by which all others are measured.
    How do you like that Viper trans? I just put mine in and I think that all Mustang's should come standard with 1. How has yours been reliability wise? Ever had it to the drag strip?

Eric
    89GT 392 Novi 2000 650/620 Tunned by DynotuneMP :D
    03 10th Anniversary Cobra Vert. 443/451 12.6@113

Junior SCH Member
    Paxtu22,

I absolutely LOVE my Viper tranny. I think they need to put Viper T56s in the Cobras, and put the regular T56s in the GTs.

As of now my new engine/trans has around 800 miles on it and so far so good. There was an issue where I thought the driveshaft D&D included in the kit was too long, but I called them and they said that they use an extra long seal on the output shaft housing of the tranny so it makes it look like the driveshaft is too long even though it's not.

I haven't had my car to the strip with the new drivetrain yet. I'm going either next Friday, or the Friday after, depending on how long it takes me to button up some things on my car. Mainly I have a piece of silicon hose going from my EGR valve to my header, which blew up, so I have a large exhaust leak there that needs fixed, (I thought long and hard about EGR delete but have heard bad things about it causing detonation and such) and then I need to change my fluids (I changed the engine oil at 30 minutes, then 100 miles, and then at 1000-1200 miles I'll change it again and also the tranny fluid will be changed to Red Line synthetic.

Thanks for the info!

Also for TheHawk05,

Thank you very much for the excellent reply. You answered all of my questions very thoroughly and I can now purchase my NOVI with confidence, and I can also start talking some SMACK to that punk kid who's been trying to get me to race his 5.0 that he SWEARS is gonna kick my arse because he's gotta Jackson Racing Supercharger.... woooooo uh oh :) It's time for my NOVI POWER! WHO HOO!

Thanks again guys:D
    | DSS Pro Bullet 306 | 8.7:1 compression | AFR 185 | Holley Systemax | BBK 70mm TB | Pro-M 80mm MAF & 38lb injectors | CompCams 35-351-8 | Aeromotive Competition fuel system |

| D&D Viper T56 | SPEC Stg. III | Fidanza aluminum flywheel | 4.10s | Eaton Posi | Moser 31-splines | Trick Flow T/A cover |

| Maximum Motorsports front and rear coilovers, panhard bar, subframe connectors, rear control arms, c/c plates | Performance Automotive chromoly K-member | Tubular a-arms |

Junior SCH Member
    The NOVI 2000 Renegade kit will fit in a 94-95,you just need to change the timing cover and water pump.You have to modify the intake pipe a little and it fits fine.I have since changed my TB back to the fox style and dumped the 94-95 elbow.Look in the NOVI 2000 photos and you will see the pic of my motor.

I almost have my car back on the road,just need to finish the 3.5" exhaust and put the starter back on and should have take off then.Im looking to get 900 to the rears with 28#,I made 866 with 25# and a lil lean condition before the head cooked on the dyno.

BTW-If you want something to put on your belts to prevent them from slipping,get "Tincture of Benzoin"you can find it at walgreens,wal-mart,etc in the pharmacy dept.Just be careful not to get it all over everything since it does have iodine in it,but I will guarantee your belt wont slip.Now my secret of slipless belts is out...happy boosting.

Welcome! I don't get your buddies argument though. If prochargers are so superior why did he go through 2 of them only to go to a vortech? Oh well every blower has its advantages and disadvantages, you just have to find the one that suits you the best.

Junior SCH Member
    Hustler,

:D :D Yeah my point exactly. I'm gonna run my car this Fri. at my local strip for the first and hopefully last time N/A, then order my NOVI next week! I can't wait to get it on my car and start running 10s or low 11s and be able to say I TOLD YOU SO!! PROCHARGER SUCKS! not really sucks, but considering he was telling me that Paxton sucks even though he'd never ever used one. Well I haven't used at Procharger myself, but I have seen him go through 2 of them, with belts slipping off every run or two. Now the Vortech is destroying their alternators....

Like i said I'm not talking bad about ATI or Vortech, I do agree with what you said about how every s/c has it's advantages and disadvantages. However in my case I think the Paxton is perfect for my needs, plus a chance to try something different (I must say I don't see too many Novis around, I guess mainly because they are in general more expensive than the others)

Well let's just say with his two ATIs, he's gone through 3, THREE 347 built motors and all kinds of crazy cash to have it all done and done again. And even though it made 600+ rwhp on the dyno and 500+ ftlb, it still has run a best of just 11.70 (fast i know, but for that kind of hp it should be quicker). Hopefully, HOPEFULLY the NOVI will get me there sooner!

Thanks again guys:D