Thread: blowing the spark out

blowing the spark out

i was wondering what happens to a blower car when the spark is blown out?...i am having a problem with my car cutting out up on hard acceleration, but the problem doesnt happen all the time, just everyonce in awhile

any help would be appreciated
    89 GT TFS Heads Systemax Intake
    TFS 2 cam 3:55s Novi 2000 42#ers
    466hp / 409 torque ;)
    10.58 @ 121 mph

Junior SCH Member
    on a dyno grapg it will look like a lot of spikes from the ones I have seen...Pull the plugs and tighten the gap a bit and see if it helps. I was told by a well known tuner/ chip burner that the best plug is the ford motorcraft plug. It surprised me whn he said it but he said he has seen cars pick up power just from a plug change...not a different heat range just different Mfgs
    92 GT,Novi 2000,Nitrous Express, AFR 185 Heads ..etc etc

Senior SCH Member
    That's what I have been running fullychargedgt. Motorcraft plugs.

i wish motorcraft made those shorty plugs for header clearance. i run the accel shorties & they only have the one heat range. a couple of the plug boots sit right on the headers if i dont use the shorties. the accles seem to be a decent plug though.....

im not sure if i am blowing the spark out or not, i doubt i am b/c it only does it everyonce in a while
    does the car cut out real bad when it blows it out??
    89 GT TFS Heads Systemax Intake
    TFS 2 cam 3:55s Novi 2000 42#ers
    466hp / 409 torque ;)
    10.58 @ 121 mph

spark blowout has some different effects, depends on the gap actually.......just try gapping them a little closer & see if it helps. at least you can eliminate that as a possiblity then. plus its easy to do........
    also want to be sure your not experiencing detonation! when pulling your plugs to regap them you can see sign of preignition on the electrode. theres 2 birds with one stone........